• Comming Soon Kato N scale SD70M

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by pgb

Hi everyone;

I am a big fan of UP and an avid N scaler too, so I'm looking forward to Kato's forthcomming N scale SD70M in UP.

Check out www.katousa.com

It is said to have 'Upgraded Kato mechanism with shock absorber construction' - can't wait.

Any thoughts/comments on how you think Kato are going to do this, will induvidual axles be sprung? This could be something very special...

-Paul
  by jmp883

I just read the SD70M page on Kato's website. The way it's worded:

Upgraded Kato mechanism with shock absorber construction

makes me wonder if it's more of a motor mount suspension than a truck/wheel suspension. I would love to see sprung trucks in N-gauge though. The track on my layout is laid fairly well, but sprung trucks would definitely help.

I remember when I was in HO that you could get sprung freight and passenger car trucks. Was there ever any sprung locomotive trucks made in HO or N?

Joe P :-D
  by bando1473

Don't remember of any diesel locomotives in HO with sprong trucks.
Many HO Brass Steam Engines have sprung drivers and it duz improve traction.
Al

by ANDY117

What comes in N, comes in HO eventually with KATO! :wink: