• Vuchic plan

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SPUI

I made a map of this plan - did I leave anything out?
Why wasn't the Swampoodle Connection/Connector (which is it?) built anyway? It seems like a really easy project, seeing how close the lines are (it appears the ROWs touch).

by Umblehoon

it wouldn't be terribly difficult to construct that connection, but the ROWs don't exactly touch -- the CHW ROW is about 50 feet above the Norristown one. It's not as easy as just installing a short length of track and a switch.

by Otto Vondrak

Did we already discuss what the "Vuchic Plan" was?

by Matthew Mitchell

Otto Vondrak wrote:Did we already discuss what the "Vuchic Plan" was?
In other threads. This was the original proposed operating plan for the Philadelphia commuter rail system after the opening of the Center City Commuter Connection. It introduced the R-numbers we still use as route designators.

The highlight of it was to tie the ex-PRR Chestnut Hill West line into the Reading side of the system, in order to balance out traffic on the two sides and increase efficiency. Since the proposed "Swampoodle Connection" between the Hill West and Norristown lines was never built, we still use the interim route pairings including R8 (Chestnut Hill West-Fox Chase). It's also why there is no R4.

You should be able to find a copy of the plan in the engineering library at Penn, where author Vukan Vuchic is on the faculty.

by Lucius Kwok

I just wanted to clarify that the Norristown and CHW lines are only a few feet apart in elevation -- they're probably 50 feet apart horizontally in an area which had abandoned factories when I rode th R6 in the 1990's. You could probably build a flying junction if you had the funds.

by Umblehoon

Lucius Kwok wrote:I just wanted to clarify that the Norristown and CHW lines are only a few feet apart in elevation -- they're probably 50 feet apart horizontally in an area which had abandoned factories when I rode th R6 in the 1990's. You could probably build a flying junction if you had the funds.
I presume engineering studies were done before the plan to build the connector was scrapped (looks towards Matthew Mitchell)? Perhaps they could provide more information about the specific vertical difference (I stand by my number -- I ride the R8 every day, and the R6 seems a considerable distance below (as in, the R8 is at R6's catenary height or higher, by my estimation). Per 50 feet apart, I think you underestimate how short 50 feet really is... they're probably more like 150 feet apart (maybe even more) at their closest point around Allegheny Ave. Still not a long distance, but 150 feet horizontally and 50 feet vertically make it a much more complicated connection than just dropping a few rails and a switch.

by Lucius Kwok

Here's a USGS topo map for your inspection:

The connection, I presume, would be between 22nd St and 19th St.

by Umblehoon

Lucius Kwok wrote:The connection, I presume, would be between 22nd St and 19th St.
That is my presumption, as well.

by Matthew Mitchell

Umblehoon wrote:I presume engineering studies were done before the plan to build the connector was scrapped (looks towards Matthew Mitchell)?
<shrug>