• WGH Show Edison NJ

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by kjd73170

Anyone going? Also I'm taking a 2 year old into trains, would this show be appropriate for a 2 year old? I ask because I've been to the Greenberg and other shows in Edison and lets say SOME vendors visibly cringe when they see either a small kid or a stroller near their wares. I am very aware of what a 2 year old may do but VERY on top of him especially at a place like this. I saw there were train rides and other "kid centric" activities and I was looking for answers for anyone who may have been to a Worlds Greatest Hobby show elsewhere.

Thanks!
  by Jers2709

I brought my son to the WGH when it was in Philly, think he was around 2. Bachmann has a pretty cool Thomas layout as well as the ride on Thomas. The only problem with the Thomas ride on is there will be a long line for it.
  by Sir Ray

Don't know if you have already gone, in which I'm too late, or you're going Sunday, but I went to the WGH in Edision this morning, and it definitely was kid friendly (and yes, there was a very long line for the Thomas ride). Crowds were humongous, and ages seem to run 1 --> 13 ... 30 --> infinity (only teens I saw were helping their parents in the vendor areas).

There are a number of operating layouts: the N scale guys put all their modules together, and had one humongous layout (They also demonstrated the true purpose of Z-scale by using some Z-scale buildings for Forced Perspective in one of their city scenes). I think there was 1 O guage 2-railer layout, 2 O 3- railer, 2 large HO setups, the Humgo N-scale layout out I mentioned, 1 S(illy) scale, and A Garden module layout (again, all of these were fairly well sized modular setup, and had modules of differing scenery and levels of completeness, but on the whole everything was pretty good) - these modular layouts are on the other side from the entrace lobby, near the 'Expo Cafe'. There were also lots of small operating layouts thru-out the center displaying manufacturers's and vendor wares, for example City Classics had an urban diorama display showcasing their structures and with a automated switcher movering back and forth between tracks, and while I was getting some pictures (I have several City Classic kits, and I wanted to see the finished products), I overheard a number of people impressed by and complimenting the modeling - this occurred at other dioramas too. (I myself was impressed to see an O scale intermodal train going aournd what looked like a 2' foot of track - how the heck did it keep from derailing?). Walthers had a booth especially for small Kids, dunno what they did (looked like Biro track), and I also saw kids w/ paper Walthers Engineer caps, so I suppose they ties together. Shout-out to Otto - I think there was at least 5, maybe 6, Atlas Passenger Stations on the 2 HO layouts - and innumerable quantities of "Aunt Millie's" house derivatives.

The vendors...eh, I remember the 2004 show (perhaps I misremember, that was over 6 years ago) as having more manufacturers directly selling their own stuff - this show seemed more like a flea market approach with MSRP prices (is that every train show nowaday?s). There was plenty of non-railroad stuff (especially Hot Wheels), and Star Wars actions figures (did little kids even like Star Wars anymore - Revenge of the Sith was 5 years ago...). Sadly, the technology that gave us micro-LEDS for our layouts also gave us the Light-Up baseball caps sold at the show (ugh - unintended conseqeuences indeed). Even the 'Tool Man' had nothing I really wanted, at least at the prices he was offering (maybe there will be discounts come late Sunday, I dunno). So, your spouse may indeed heartily approve - you and your kids will have lots to see, but you might not end up buying all that much.

I got there about 10:30AM, and parking was already ugly (I ended up in Field B, right off Raritan Centre Parkway, rather muddy), and crowds of people with toddlers, infants, strollers etc swarming toward the Expo Center. I don't remember any seats or benches outside of the Expo Cafe area, so keep that in mind if you have kids that tire easily.

Top Gear Top Tip: Aim for the Restrooms by the Lobby entrances versa the ones by the Cafe - seemed like shorter lines. Also, Big Train Sound is indeed, BIG TRAIN SOUND - you'll see...I mean hear. Oh, and the Brooklyn modelers get 2 demerits for their silly 'Finger Bucket' - Losers!
  by Otto Vondrak

I'm here working the show! Stop by the Carstens Publications booth and say hello!

There are a few bargains here if you know where to look... But then again, everyone wants everything for nothing...

-otto-
  by cnj1524

It was a good show,many layouts,I did see at the Athearn booth a HO prototype DDX40,but didnt notice anything
new or coming from other companys,but still a very good place to go and TALK to many manufactures
  by Sir Ray

Otto Vondrak wrote:I'm here working the show! Stop by the Carstens Publications booth and say hello!
Actually I stopped by every booth (or quickly looked and continued on if it was obviously toys or trinkets like the aforementioned light-up-hats) on Saturday, and don't actually remember the Carstens booth - and since I forgot what you look like since you changed your Avatar (perhaps you weren't even there on Saturday), well I didn't say hello. Sorry. However, this does prove that you did see the legions (well, 5 or 6) of Atlas Passenger Stations on the HO modular layouts (hey, you started that thread - and once you seet the Atlas station you can't "unsee" them all over those modules).
There are a few bargains here if you know where to look... But then again, everyone wants everything for nothing...
Of course everything should be for nothing. especially books like "Forgotten Railroads Through Westchester County" (I kid, I kid - dang, now Otto's gonna send the Brooklyn modelers after my fingers).
Actually, I am not adverse to paying full MSRP for new stuff that I can use, and I did so liberally at the 2004 WGH Edison show, but this time I couldn't justify anything, and I even checked the Tool Man booth 3 times.
cnj1524 wrote:It was a good show,many layouts,I did see at the Athearn booth a HO prototype DDX40
They had a DDAX40 too? I thought I saw a GE U50 model, but maybe they are revamping their DD40 also. I was more interested in the Athearn modern-era LPG tank cars (which very nice in person), and will buy some when they wander into my LHS.

Hey, people who where there Sunday, what was the big Plasticville give-away (to the first 500 entrants)?
  by Otto Vondrak

Carstens booth is near the front entrance, part of our booth had an O scal trolley layout on display... Inside a replica of a Birney car! Also books and magazines for sale. Sorry, you can't get my book for free, but several dealers have it for reasonable prices. :-) i hear ya about that Atlas depot, though!!
  by Sir Ray

Well, for you people in Florida (next on the WGH tour, looks like 19-20 March 2011 in Tampa), while no-one can't guarantee the same results, but looks like you should try to make the show, especially if you have kids; also let your friends and neighbors and co-workers know too, these shows seem like they can be good introductions for the next generation of modelers (which, actually, is the whole point of them - so be it).
  by N-Trizzy2609

I got a good catch at the show, AMC Amtrak GG-1 #902 in Bloody Nose paint and a rare Amtrak California F59 #2006
  by green_elite_cab

What brand GG1 is that? did you mean AHM?

Anyways, i totally forgot about the show until 5 PM sunday. I was planning to go, but i'd been tied up with other things lately. Ah well, always next time. I haven't been to a show in a long while.
  by N-Trizzy2609

green_elite_cab wrote:What brand GG1 is that? did you mean AHM?
Yeah sorry I got letter tied with IHC who also make the same model in almost the same way.