• What Athearn Loco Is This? (C44-9W)

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Cadet57

My Buddy picked up this loco at the West Springfield show, its clean, but needs a couple parts to get it running. Not sure on the type, Im thinking C44-9? Any help is appreciated.

by Ken S.

It's either the C44-9W or the AC4400CW. Athearn did them both as BB and RTR models.
  by Cadet57

Ken S. wrote:It's either the C44-9W or the AC4400CW. Athearn did them both as BB and RTR models.
Its a blue box. But the problem is is that both have different sized worm gears thus without knowing the true type I can't order parts. Hence my quandary.
  by ajp31

That's a C44-9W, not an AC4400. The AC units have larger (battery?) boxes on the fireman's side behind the cab--so you picked the right photo to differentiate!