• Good Glue For Modeling

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Death Star

I have some cabooses and I would like to cover the windows up with styrene like the prototypes I see today. I recently saw some HO Milwaukee Road cabooses with this done. My question is, what kind of glue should I use to apply the styrene to the windows?
  by Eliphaz

I like Ambroid Proweld, though to be fair there are other brands of the same chemical - Methylene chloride.
the stuff is amazing. set your piece in place, apply a tiny drop of solvent from the end of the tiny brush, it runs around the joint by capillary action, and the pieces are instantly welded.

use in a well ventilated area !
  by Dieter

You have two choices;
1) Styrene to simulate a panel covering a previously existing window opening.

2) Virtually "Erase" the window opening, making the area flush with the body surface.

For #1, you already have an answer.

For #2, Testors makes a BODY FILL for plastic models which comes in a BLUE & WHITE tube which you can generally find right next to their glue for plastic kits.

Cover the window opening from the REAR with a small piece of styrene, fill in the area and sculpt flush with a small putty knife. Sand evenly and paint, it will look like a pro job or as if the model came from the manufacturer that way. it's a neat way to alter window configurations to make unique private and business cars too.

D/