• crossing protection

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Railjunkie

Im looking to install some operating crossing protection on my HO/DCC equipted railroad. But I have a few questions.

Who makes the best looking transition era lights/flashers and detection equipment.

Are they easy to install ie wiring and detection.

Will not use walthers a buddy of mine could never get the to work right .
  by ApproachMedium

If your concerned with looks, esp your track, go with some kind of opto-isolated detector like the NCE BD-20. If you go with the JLC enterprises DCCOD you can build the detector yourself, or buy it from someone like me that builds them and it is extremly simple to just plug right in. Logic Rail i think makes a crossing light controller board that works with these as does JLC enterprises. The stuff from JLC enterprises will work with signal detection systems such as CMRI.
  by Railjunkie

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to do a little more research. Have you ever used anything from SBsignals? More questions to follow Im sure.
  by ApproachMedium

No I havent. Check out the JLC enterprises website. I believe hes put up the crossing logic card. Easiest way to find the site is google C/MRI, which stands for Computer model railroad interface.