• Anyone still use the Dynatrol command control system?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by CAR_FLOATER

Greetings, gang.....

I was wondering if anyone out there still operates their layout with a non-DCC control system, specifically Dynatrol, one of the first successful command control systems. It is an analog system as opposed to digital, but is a reliable and proven system, can be made to operate with infrared wireless throttles, and even with DCC. It is still supported, now by a new owner who is constantly "bringing it up to spec" and improving it, and for those of us who want a simple command control system and are on a budget, this is it!
Some of the hobby's most well-known layout owners have used Dynatrol before they took down or rebuilt their current layouts, like Tony Koester's Midland Road, and Lee Nicholas' UC&W, Chuck Hitchcock's Santa Fe, and RPI's NEB&W. One of the hobby's better kept secrets, Harold Werthwein's Erie layout, STILL uses Dynatrol in a big way, 20 years and running!
If you've never heard of Dynatrol, you can visit the Classic Dynatrol website to see the component parts at -
http://www.classicdynatrol.dynu.com
And if you ARE a Dynatrol user, and were wondering, "does anybody still use this stuff?" well, the answer is YES!
Come join us at the official Classic Dynatrol users Yahoo Group at -
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dynatrol/
Remember, just because it's not DCC doesn't mean it's not worth using!!!

Ralph Heiss
S. Plainfield, NJ

by Otto Vondrak

Hey! That site is/was hosted at Rochester Institute of Technology! But they are located in Erie PA. Looks like it was hosted off a student account at RIT- which is against RIT Terms of Service (you cant host commercial stuff from your free student account).... who knows what the RIT connection is (besides hosting the world's best model railroad club)...

-otto-
  by CAR_FLOATER

Hi Otto...I really don't know what the deal is with the site, it's not mine.
I own/moderate the Dynatrol Yahoo Group.

Ralph H.
S.Plainfield, NJ
  by ClassicDynatrol

Greetings model railroaders !

I see that there has not been much activity about DYNATROL in the recent past, so I thought I'd post an update. First, the website is, and has been for some years, http://www.CLASSICDYNATROL.com. The land phone number needs to be updated in the site, however, it is (814)-734-1276. When you visit the site, you will likely note that prices have not changed in 2011...still great value for hundreds of existing DYNATROL users.

With the advent of DCC, some DYNATROL users switched, however, many still enjoy the simplicity of DYNATROL and continue to use it. Without doubt, DYNATROL does not offer the almost limitless flexability of DCC, however, our experience is that most users actually use very few of the advanced features that DCC offers. Again, our experience is that most users who switch are those with 30+ locomotives and rather large layouts....and a fair number of users who did swithc to DCC, switched back to DYNATROL withing a few months !! Those who still use DYNATROL, and there are "pockets" of users worldwide, continue to purchase new and used receivers, throttles, etc.

Than being said, DYNATROL is alive and well, however, not unlike DYNATROL's founder Abbott Lahti, as I approach retirement, I am looking for someone to continue the business. If you, or someone you know may be interested in "continuing the DYNATROL legacy", please don't hesitate to contact me. Those with a sound knowledge / degree in electrical engineering coupled with a passion for model railroading would make the most likely candidates !!!