• Helper, Utah

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by exbrakeman

I've accepted a hiring session invite for Helper. Appreciate any info about the work that's there, what service unit it belongs to and where you can be forced if you can't hold Helper. Thanks for any info!
  by slchub

Helper is in the Salt Lake City Service Unit. It's pretty much the bottom of the barrel as far as guys wishing to establish it as their home terminal. Helper and Elko, NV are the points where the lower seniority guys are "forced" to work out of if they cannot hold Ogden, SLC, Provo, Milford or even Vegas. I haven't worked for the UP since 2006 so I don't know what the jobs are now. The runs are Helper to Grand Junction, CO and Helper to Provo. There are also some "helper" jobs for the coal trains and a few coal locals as well.

If you are in Helper/Price then you know what you are in for. If not, study up on the area as it is not a boom town.
  by Ocala Mike

Yes. but there's always the Christmas parade.

http://www.utahschristmastown.com/