• SEPTA Station Naming Rights

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Umblehoon

http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/phi ... st=b_ln_hl

Rosita Youngblood, my ever-incumbent and ever-useless state rep (Phila district 192, for anyone curious) has proposed that SEPTA can sell the naming rights of its stations to help defray costs. I think this sounds like an excellent idea. Instead of getting off at Upsal Station (so strangely named after Upsal Street, which ends at it), I could use Weaver's Way Co-Op Station! The R8 Chestnut Hill West could become the R8 Border's Bookrun! Maybe private individuals could buy the rights... anyone going to the former Market East Station (I hate those pesky names that are bland and only tell you where you are) could get off instead at Harold Lenfest Station.

Let's not stop at SEPTA stations, either -- this could help make the roads self-supporting! I-76 is named after the river that it follows. What sense does that make? Who's in favor of calling it the Comcast Broadband Highway (and Perzel's plan to make it double-decker wouldn't add lanes, but bandwidth!). Market Street -> Cigna Way. Broad Street -> Comcast-Spectacor Street.

Selling the naming rights of a transportation system is beyond absurd. People already have problems with things like the difference between Lansdale and Lansdowne... can you imagine the confusion if the names changed yearly based on who had the most money in the local community?

by octr202

They proposed that in Boston. Not only did most people not like the idea, apaprently there wasn't nearly the interest by businesses in it either.

by JeffK

But think of the fun you could have:

Next stop, Morton Salt!

Anyone for Haver Ford-Lincoln-Mercury?

Two tickets to the Yardley Cologne station, please...

Just take the Frankford A-O-El

R3 - the Mainstream Media line

by Springfield Tripper

Here's one being kicked around by School Districts here in North Texas, known locally as ISD's:

Rooftop Advertising! Yes, I know, there's this little thing called the "fluted roof" to deal with - true. But as an item for writing in to the S - V Spec… You know, engineers love a challenge, such as making this work.

Cheers,
Garry

by Urban D Kaye

We could look forward to exchanges like these...

Conductor: "Next stop... Starbucks!"
Passenger: "Is that Strabucks North or Strabucks West?"
Conductor: "Starbucks East."

Passenger: "What's the off-peak fare from Pep Boys Acres to Dunkin Donuts Plaza?"
Ticket Agent: "Is that the Zone 2 Dunkin Donuts or the Zone 3?"

Ack.

by rail__debris

they tried that school roof advertising on daria...the school fell into deeper debt and lost major face.

yeah, its bad enough with sports arenas, stadiums, and fields with corporate names. subway stations renamed? septa needs mone; if they want to sell advertisement to get funding, do like njt and cover their buses in advertisements.

by glennk419

I already have a station named after me........GLENside! :-D

by Urban D Kaye

glennk419 wrote:I already have a station named after me........GLENside! :-D
And it didn't cost you a dime ;)

More fundraising ideas for Septa Regional Rail...

1. Take A Chance ... Introduce slot machine gambling at Market East, Suburban, and 30th Street stations.
2. Pimp Our Ride... Use the increasingly popular wrap advertising to shroud Silverliners in corporate images and slogans (see the Toyota Tundra ad on an Amtrak Genesis in this month's TRAINS)

by Jbad

The Portland (OR) Streetcar does something similar, but in a more passive way. For example, stops are announced as "NW 21st St, sponsored by..." This provides a significant chunk of operating revenue and eliminates the possibility of confusion.