Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by RearOfSignal

So the MTA has approved the new fare hikes. Here's the details... http://www.mta.info/mta/pdf/board_materials100711.pdf, MNR section begins on page 26.

What I find un-fare... you will now be paying more for a step-up. Step-ups and ride extensions will be rounded up to the next whole dollar amount. Which means that your off-peak ticket GCT to Fordham will be $5.75 the peak ticket GCT to Fordham will be $7.50. Normally the step-up from off-peak to peak would be the difference in this case $1.75, but that will be rounded up to $2.00. So if you pay the step-up on the train you'll be paying about 3% more. Or GCT to Peekskill off-peak is $10.75, peak is $14.25; the normal step-up would be $3.50, but now would be $4.00. But I guess that's an incentive for passengers to buy the proper ticket ahead of time and not on the train.
  by truck6018

Another interesting aspect of the new fares is the increased limitations of the tickets. One way and round trip tickets will only be valid for 14 days from a previous 6 months. In order to redeem an unused ticket there will now be a $10.00 processing charge. With the processing charge in mind this will render most one way and round trip tickets non refundable.
  by DutchRailnut

Why am I picturing the MTA board as wearing masks and carrying guns ??
  by theozno

I wonder how many Rye and Portchester folks are going to purchase a "step up" fare to Greenwich... if the MTA is smart they will disable tickets purchases from Greenwich - Grand Central Terminal at Port chester and Rye train stations.
  by RearOfSignal

theozno wrote:I wonder how many Rye and Portchester folks are going to purchase a "step up" fare to Greenwich... if the MTA is smart they will disable tickets purchases from Greenwich - Grand Central Terminal at Port chester and Rye train stations.
Well if you read the document you would have seen this...

New Haven Line Travel Within NY State
The above percentages will apply to New Haven Line fares. However, some New
Haven Line fares may be increased in stages, in order to avoid exceeding the
existing fares from Greenwich.
  by Otto Vondrak

Surprise! Trains cost money to run! Imagine if our fares were not subsidized at all, and they charged us what it really cost to operate these trains?
  by metrony

Otto Vondrak wrote:Surprise! Trains cost money to run! Imagine if our fares were not subsidized at all, and they charged us what it really cost to operate these trains?
It's really getting to be that way. The subsided money is dried up. Albany doesn't care they only care about playing elementary school and who can scam the most money out of the public. Actually, I wonder if they just want everyone to jump in their cars and drive. More gas tax money for the state. Maybe people buying more cars = more tax money for the state.

Everyone knows my feelings towards the MTA/Albany so no need to beat a dead horse. All I have to say I just hope we don't see a downward spiral for years to come. Just have to wonder how the next generation will do it or will they even want commute that far to work. Who knows what the future holds because it's really sad the way things are right now.
  by DutchRailnut

For farebox recovery rate ( differece between what passenger pays and actual cost) of operating budget see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farebox_recovery_ratio

then Railroad still needs money for capital programs which is not included in farebox recovery.
but basicly on MNCR for every dollar spend on transportation the government has to pay 37 cents.
  by Otto Vondrak

metrony wrote:Albany doesn't care they only care about...
And no matter how much we talk about it, it won't change the fact that fares are going up.
metrony wrote:Who knows what the future holds because it's really sad the way things are right now.
Yes, it truly is sad to be served by one of the best commuter railroad agencies in the nation, with one of the highest reliability and on-time rates... That truly is sad. Would you rather be served by LIRR? NJT? Dare I say it... SEPTA???

-otto-
  by metrony

Otto Vondrak wrote:
metrony wrote:Albany doesn't care they only care about...
And no matter how much we talk about it, it won't change the fact that fares are going up.
metrony wrote:Who knows what the future holds because it's really sad the way things are right now.
Yes, it truly is sad to be served by one of the best commuter railroad agencies in the nation, with one of the highest reliability and on-time rates... That truly is sad. Would you rather be served by LIRR? NJT? Dare I say it... SEPTA???

-otto-
It doesn't mean anything when people cannot afford to take the train anymore. The peak crowd we get, they have no choice but to take the train. Eventually once they retire or move out of the area down the line would the next generation take their place? The off-peak crowd have a choice and they will opt to drive instead of taking the train. Fares have more then doubled within the last decade and parking fees were added (let's not forget parking is going up too this December - double whammy). Really, how much is enough? $56 for two people off-peak Beacon-GCT is not affordable, driving is cheaper.

These fares hikes every year now are not going to end for a longg time to come. MTA still has billions dollars of bonds (Thanks Albany!) to pay back along with the operating budget and Albany will just keep cutting up the subsidy. The deficit is actually going up and not down even with 4939393 fare hikes because of the massive bonds.

Dare I say $1,000 monthly from Poughkeepsie will be coming soon...
  by theozno

RearOfSignal wrote:
theozno wrote:I wonder how many Rye and Portchester folks are going to purchase a "step up" fare to Greenwich... if the MTA is smart they will disable tickets purchases from Greenwich - Grand Central Terminal at Port chester and Rye train stations.
New Haven Line Travel Within NY State
The above percentages will apply to New Haven Line fares. However, some New
Haven Line fares may be increased in stages, in order to avoid exceeding the
existing fares from Greenwich.
Could Rye - Old Greenwich could become 1 zone?
  by Steamboat Willie

You all seem to forget, the RR has some kind of monopoly here. By that, I mean the people who commute into NYC from the outer terminals such as Poughkeepsie, New Haven, Southeast that sees strong ridership have no other alternative. And people will continue to commute into NYC because that's where all the jobs are (most of.) And they will have a better standard of living further away from the city with the money they make. Riding the train is cheaper and safer. Anyone who rides the NH line who complains should be shown the I-95 just as a reminder they can sit in rush hour traffic for miles on end sharing the road with half awake truck drivers. And you can remind people up the line on the H&H about the abundant amount of deer on the Taconic Parkway and you tell me if it's safer.

These fare hikes are nothing different than others in the past. Knee jerk reaction is to outcry and complain. It's part of life, just like my taxes keep going up.
  by truck6018

theozno wrote:
Could Rye - Old Greenwich could become 1 zone?
That would not likely ever happen. MTA and NYS set the New York fares and CDOT sets the CT fares. The interesting thing is that it will now cost less to go to Greenwich than Rye and Port Chester. Greenwich costs $8.00 and Rye and Portchester is proposed to increase to $8.25.

There has been discussion for CT to raise their fares in 2011.
  by hcobin

Just so it's clear, the increase in fares is not being implemented in Connecticut. Also, the processing fee for getting a refund for a valid ticket is $15. H.F.C.
  by DutchRailnut

hcobin wrote: Also, the processing fee for getting a refund for a valid ticket is $15. H.F.C.

This says otherwise:

G. Other Fare Policy Changes
• Reduce ticket validity period for one-way and round-trip tickets from 6
months to 14 days. Exclusions may apply for group travel/special event
tickets.
• Reduce ticket validity period for ten-trip tickets from 1 year to 6 months.
• Reduce redemption period for all unused or partially used tickets to 30 days
after date of purchase.
Establish a refund processing fee of $10 per transaction.• Implementation of all of the above fare policy changes West of Hudson is
contingent on NJ TRANSIT’s ability to implement them.
• Certain fare policy changes as they apply to the New Haven Line are subject
to approval by CDOT.