• CSX B40-8s converted to B20-8s?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by MEC407

DutchRailnut wrote:GP38 will be hard to make Tier 2 compliant, when it comes to overhauling.
I keep hearing that locomotives under 2300 HP are exempt, and therefore would not have to meet Tier 2. Is that correct? It might explain why a lot of the Class I roads are suddenly derating many of their older high-horsepower locomotives to 2300 HP or less.
  by RickRackstop

GP38's only have to be Tier 0 compliant, that's is the ones built after 1972 and the newest one was built long before the Tier 1 cutoff. Everybody in the parts business has a 1033 kit for it that's why they are in such demand.
  by DutchRailnut

wrong, any non-classified locomotive can only be rebuilt/overhauled to a max of 1/8 of engine per year or it will be deemed a total overhaul, and at that time the locomotive must be brought inline with current regulations.
this is one of reasons the FL-9's were sidelined since no more than two power assemblies per year could be changed out.
  by RickRackstop

DutchRailnut wrote:wrong, any non-classified locomotive can only be rebuilt/overhauled to a max of 1/8 of engine per year or it will be deemed a total overhaul, and at that time the locomotive must be brought inline with current regulations.
this is one of reasons the FL-9's were sidelined since no more than two power assemblies per year could be changed out.
As far as the EPA rules are concerned: locomotives manufactured between 1973 through 2001 when remanufactured must be Tier 0 compliant. Engines manufactured between 2002 through 2004 when remanufactured must be Tier 1 which is how they were all built. Engines built after 2005 to the present must be rebuilt in kind also. Now for operators of passenger locomotive they are making their own rules. In California they are putting in new Tier 2 engines at taxpayers expence. Metro North probably has its own rules and the Long Island railroad is starting to rebuild its DE locomotives but I think they are only Tier 0. ( You know there are fewer of those DE/DM oddballs than EMD's BL2's)