• Lemony Snicket-A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by Aa3rt

Earlier this week, I happened to see a program on the making of "Lemony Snicket-A Series of Unfortunate Events" on television. Normally, I wouldn't have given this a second glance, however the grand finale of the movie has a late 1950s/early 60s Chrysler, with three children trapped inside, sitting on a grade crossing with a train being pulled by a Pennsylvania RR T-1 (or at least T-1 inspired) locomotive bearing down on the auto.

So, with that enticement I sat through a couple of commercial breaks, behind the scenes special effects segements and some insufferable interviews to see the T-1 portion. One shot was of a gentleman on a car phone pacing the (obviously computer generated) locomotive. No whistle, this T-1 has an air horn. It's also operating somewhere in the desert southwest.

I'd never heard of Lemony Snicket-to me children's literature is Homer Price, Tom Swift and "Highlights" magazine. I don't expect that I'll see this movie-I still haven't rented "The Station Agent" or "Festival Express", a couple of films I thought I'd like to watch, but if someone has children and sees this film (opening date: Dec. 17th) I'd appreciate your inputs, at least on the railroad portion-after this is "RAILROADS in Media".
  by Ham549

I saw the movie and it is safe to say that the sets were of there own desine rather then trying to emulate a certain era. The movie set were there own stile "kind of like the first batman movie a mondern/old theam"

by keeper1616

After being forced to sit through the movie, I would not recommend it, although the train scene (about 20 minutes in) is pretty cool....

The movie is not set in any time period, and I guess the best I could compare it to is a bunch of Dr Seuss-type inventions.