• Any news on NS pulling out of North Jersey?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

by TAMR213

Any news on CSAO? Whatever happened to that rumour of NS pulling out of North jersey (which I find hard to belive)?
  by NsNscalerailfaN

That's pathetic....NS is KA with CSAO....When I visited Greg Weber (President of CSAO) he gave me a NS clock with a highhood pulling NS cars as the seconds hand. NS would certainly not pull out. That was though about 6 months ago.....That is rediculous...................... I know more but I can't say much, sorry....

by Lehigh Valley Railroad

I highly doubt it as well.....

Why for starters??

by Ken W2KB

If anything, I believe that NS would favor upgrading the Lehigh Line and termianl facilities by fully double tracking it and increase capacity. I've heard that there are some stack trains terminating in PA rather than continuing further east due to capacity issues

by TAMR213

I would think they would want to couble track too, and hopefully they will be, at least to Bound Brook. Did hear that eaither NS or CSX might be pulling out of CSAO.

by JJMDiMunno

TAMR213 wrote:I would think they would want to couble track too, and hopefully they will be, at least to Bound Brook. Did hear that eaither NS or CSX might be pulling out of CSAO.
I had heard some time ago that CSX wasn't that interested in Shared Assets...particularly South Jersey District. They don't make that much money down here, NS makes lots more than CSX off of this piece of railroad (due to running 5X as many unit coal trains)...

Also remember, this was the area that was up for sale and ALMOST sold up until the split...Conrail wanted to get rid of the whole thing with the exception of the Vineland Sec. north of Woodbury and the Penns Grove Sec.

Take care.

by metman499

The official reason those stack trains terminate in Bethlehem is capacity. The real reason is that the Port of Newark and the Port of New York are all union areas. After the split NS wanted to run their Triple Crown into Port Newark but without unionized employees. The unions wouldn't allow it so they (along with the skeleton of the PB&NE) built an intermodal yard on the old Beth Steel slag heap.

by TAMR213

Mike,

Do you know who were the bidders on those lines? Had never heard that before.

by CSX Conductor

supposedly CSXT is losing money on operations north of Philly and they want out. of course there are also the rumors of giving Chicago to Boston to the UP.

by Ken W2KB

metman499 wrote:The official reason those stack trains terminate in Bethlehem is capacity. The real reason is that the Port of Newark and the Port of New York are all union areas. After the split NS wanted to run their Triple Crown into Port Newark but without unionized employees. The unions wouldn't allow it so they (along with the skeleton of the PB&NE) built an intermodal yard on the old Beth Steel slag heap.
CSX crews are non-union?

by JJMDiMunno

TAMR213 wrote:Mike,

Do you know who were the bidders on those lines? Had never heard that before.
No I don't...I know there were several companies that wanted to buy pieces of the railroad, like SMS of Bridgeport NJ that was temporarily interested in the Grenloch Branch and the Bellmawr Ind. park found there...but most likely it would have been some short line operator that would have bought the whole thing...

Keep in mind that there is the possibility and actually probability that history will repeat itself here...things are only getting worse...we've got 10-car trains going to Millville this day in age, down from the average 50 to 60 car counts that used to run down there as recently as a few years ago...

Take care.

by metman499

It's not that the crews are nonunion on the rails for NS. It's that the people who would be working with the trailers from the train in the port were not union. CSXs people who do this work are and thats why they run their trains in.

by Engineer

Mike,
Sounds like us in Metuchen with the Raritan Central Railway. All that business that Conrail pissed away in the Raritan Center Inductrial Park, and now a bulk of the traffic coming into the yard are merely interchange cars to hand over to the RCRY. Track and car dept crews have been spending the past couple of weeks carting away everything thats not bolted down and relocating it to other yards.....
As a famous song once said, the end is near.