Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Shavano

Salazar from Guam and the best driver on Long Island got some decent shots today...too bad Salazar left his video camera in still image mode. Made fantastic time today, Smithtown to Brooklyn in only 3 & 1/2 hours! Always a fan of the Southern State and BQE..

Power plus protect sitting in HPA and then running around the train towards the end of what's left of the GCS.

Last edited by Shavano on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by ElliotCourtney

By chance what is the top speed allowed for the move?
Thanks,
Elliot
  by Shavano

By Woodside they were doing around 20-25mph, not very likely the power could get the train moving much faster...I'd imagine that speed drops to below 15 once they hit the GCS.
  by SwingMan

Dude everyone was at Clinton Road!!! Ha nice pics! Stood in the cold rain with wind from 1pm-5:30pm thanks to the unruly animals :wink: .
  by Nova55

Precisely why we were "not" at Clinton Road.

by hammerfang

Does anyone have an album of pictures?
  by REM3Night

As Snoopy would say - "it was a dark and stormy night" - well at least it was cold and cloudy. The train was expected around 12:30 but it didn't get there. We waited in the warm Garden City Station and an officer came in to use the rest room. He said he would let us know when he heard something. The train arrived around 3 and took about 8 minutes to pass.

As mentioned it was led by 163, 166, 164 & 172, consisted of 61 cars and was the "Blue" train. It was followed by 158.

Ray
  by Mr rt

I was at LI bus at 4PM and saw 163, 164, 166 & 172 bring 36 cars.
Then two shoved them accross the road, broke them & pulled back three.
This took about an hour.
Did a drive by at Washington & Clinton. At latter saw the most railfans.
  by hammerfang

I drove past last night and they were unloading the train, didn't see any animals, just crates.
  by Jayjay1213

Nova55 wrote:The amount of zoids at Clinton road was scary, with of course the group in safety vests. I hid down on the other end..
What is the mindset behind buffs wearing safety vests?? Is it like, "if i wear a vest, they will think i am professional and maybe ask me to get a switch or something for them!!". Maybe I just dont get it... :wink:
  by Dump The Air

I believe its a marking to tell normal well adjusted people and railfans that approaching them would be a bad idea.
  by RPM2Night

Good afternoon fellow forum members. I apologize for the bad info I put out there about the train being longer than normal this year. I passed on info that apparently came from a bad source. I was told by a manager from the railroad who had attended the meetings for the circus train planning and who was responsible for inspecting the ROW on the secondary in preperation for the train's arrival. I guess he heard wrong, or he too was given the wrong numbers.
Last edited by RPM2Night on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by num1hendrickfan

Jayjay1213 wrote:
Nova55 wrote:The amount of zoids at Clinton road was scary, with of course the group in safety vests. I hid down on the other end..
What is the mindset behind buffs wearing safety vests?? Is it like, "if i wear a vest, they will think i am professional and maybe ask me to get a switch or something for them!!". Maybe I just dont get it... :wink:
I'd think it would be for greater visibility. A lot of photographers/videographers prefer to go the extra mile for their shots ( not limited to rail fans either ), being visible is important so you don't get "INJURED".
  by RRChef

num1hendrickfan wrote:
Jayjay1213 wrote:
I'd think it would be for greater visibility. A lot of photographers/videographers prefer to go the extra mile for their shots ( not limited to rail fans either ), being visible is important so you don't get "INJURED".
Yeah, all the loons were out. Between them and the crappy weather, I just kept driving on by. I'll wait til the train leaves to get my pics. I never shot pics of it leaving before. Anyone have the departure times yet?