• De Facto D-3/D-4 TOM Merger?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by jaymac

As a casual listener/observer (2-3 times a week), it's struck me over the last several weeks how the voice for both D-3 and D-4 is the same. After the cut-back of D-3 a few miles west to CPF-312 (a seemingly wise move since that's where PAS ends), do both D-3 and D-4 now share the same person as TOM? That appeared to be a point of discussion between the D-3 TOM and the crew of ED-495 on the morning of 03-12-2010.
  by PAR381

District 4 is no more.... District 3 now controls everything west of Ayer(PAS) and District 2 now controls to CPF WL.(PAR)
  by CPF363

District 2 controls up to but not including the Willow East, CPF 312. All points from the easterly limit of CPF 312 in a westward direction are in control of District 3.
  by jaymac

It does seem to address the work-load imbalance that used to exist among D-2, D-3, and D-4 TOMs.
  by cpf354

I recall that 3 and 4 were combined on weekends. I'm amazed that with the expected growth of traffic they would consolidate them full time.
  by jaymac

Even with traffic growth and the future complications of rehabbing for and then reacquiring AMTK on the Conn. River, it seems that a TOM on the combined and quicker D-3/D-4 would have less juggling to do than on D-2 with its complications of the impacts of two commuter lines, the Downeasters, more yards, more locals, and limited visitation rights from foreign -- and thus more reliable -- power.
Whatever PAR's labor-management "issues" might have been in the past or will be in the future, the other and bigger half of PAS also has its history: Remember NS crews having to carry around plastic bags so a few thousand dollars per unit could be saved? PAR/PAS TOMs aren't organized: They gave up their right to grieve when they gave up their union protection, and now their employer/s can RIF them merely by combining districts, a combination that is reflective of the new road west of CPF-312. Any RIF is and will continue to be disruptive and painful for those affected. However, NS has already invested heavily in PAS and will continue to do so, and it is logical to expect that NS will try to maximize its return on that considerable investment.
  by Otto Vondrak

PAR381 wrote:District 4 is no more.... District 3 now controls everything west of Ayer(PAS) and District 2 now controls to CPF WL.(PAR)
I didn't realize D4 is history. Did they issue a new timetable, or just abolish the desk?

-otto-
  by PAR381

Just did away with the desk. Listening to the scanner this past couple of weeks the TOM is still saying District 4 but its the District 3 TOM

Rich
  by sery2831

There is still a District 4! But the person on District 3 is working both Districts full time now.
  by jaymac

Let's see: two districts, each distinguished by different Train Order numbers, and one TOM. As an outside observer, I'm yet again glad I'm not a PAR worker. This sure looks like a recipe for write-ups and terminations.
  by mick

They've been doing it that way at night and on weekends for a long time now. If it ever gets to be too much for one person, the "Chief" will step in on D-4.
  by jaymac

The weekday dayside de facto D-3/D-4 merger has been in place for right around three months now.
Will the two nominal districts be kept in place or will a real merger take place?
  by obienick

Is this due to a personnel shortage or simply saving money? I know for a long time Pan Am had a listing on their website for new TOMs.