• Heavy Engine Repair moving to MN's Harmon Shop?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Super Seis

Rumor has it that the new HERO shop at MP has been cancelled. Not all that surprising considering that the MN Diesel shop @ Harmon only works one shift.

SS
  by workextra

Having the "Mets" qualify NYT-CP216 was a little more then just for that Football special; read between the lines. :(
  by Datenail

The reason it was put on hold at this time, was to explore having the LIRR heavy locomotive maintenance done at Harmon. Transportation is also working with MofE and MNCR Engineering on what would be necessary to haul LIRR locomotives to MN facilities.
  by workextra

we all knew that was coming.
I hope LI MoE get's to work at Harmon on their engines.
As a temporary solution it is fine, but it should only be until a proper repair facility can be built out of the ruins of "the park"
"The Park" needs to be dug up completely several feet then be back filled with gravel and dirt. That land it so polluted that about the only thing able to be developed on it would be a "New Park" .
  by Super Seis

Yet another part of the rumor involves moving running repairs upstairs to RH. But, last week, I had a guy from Structures come into my trailer looking to survey the condition of the roundhouse. He spoke that 'they are looking to get another 25 years !!! out of it.

The Harmon thing seems kind of screwy, as the Mets has been sending their GE's back to the builder for half-life overhauls. One can guess the response on the part of their crafts when work comes into their shop that wont be 'their own.' Yet, Harmon has no experience with EMD 710 and Siemens equipment.

SS
  by Steamboat Willie

Super, you do know that the FL9AC's (the CDOT F units had the 567 with 645 power assemblies) had 710's in them, so in theory Harmon does have experience with them. To say how many people in the mechanical department still have a working knowledge of them is another question.
  by workextra

financial woes I'm well aware. However:
Being that the diesel fleet is around 12 years old already I do strongly believe that the following must be considered.
the existing C3 fleet must also get rebuilds/over hauls. and LIRR simply go back to the same builder and start up production of 50-100 more C3 cars out of that 10-20 of them are parlor cars. (like the ACES cars) To make up for the lack of equipment ordered.
This is why a new "park" is needed so this work can be done at home saving valuable time.
  by SwingMan

workextra wrote:financial woes I'm well aware. However:
Being that the diesel fleet is around 12 years old already I do strongly believe that the following must be considered.
the existing C3 fleet must also get rebuilds/over hauls. and LIRR simply go back to the same builder and start up production of 50-100 more C3 cars out of that 10-20 of them are parlor cars. (like the ACES cars) To make up for the lack of equipment ordered.
This is why a new "park" is needed so this work can be done at home saving valuable time.

Well the C3s are in pretty good condition as of now, still riding smooth, etc., and there is no doubt that the LIRR needs new C3s/C-, whatever it maybe. But what they need for all of this is the $$$ which they don't have.
M9s are what they want, new locomotive hauled coaches is what they need, and $$$ is what they don't have so non of these, plus new MP, will probably come in a long time.
  by ElliotCourtney

This is a very interesting disscusion but I must interject as some of the lingo is not what I am used to.
What is the Mets besides the Baseball team?
What is a HERO Besides the Sandwich?
Where is the territory from NYT-CP216?
Where is RH?
What LIRR Eqipment is made by Seimens?
Thank you for help in understanding this disscusion.
  by SwingMan

New York Terminal-CP216
No LIRR equipment has been made by Seimens.
  by workextra

Elliot,
RH = Richmond Hill- it's the diesel coach yard and shops
NYT-CP216 The line from Penn-New Roshelle. (Hell Gate)
The "Mets" are METro North Commuter Railroad

As for the additional C3's, a new park and even the M9, We all know that it cost money but it's a necessity.
the real reason I mentioned C3 rebuild is though they are in good condition the rebuild would replace the 36pt jumper with a 27pt standard jumper, M7 ASI sign. less faulty Door Control Module, new batteries and so on...
cab cars would get other upgrades.
Additional cars ordered to make up for the screw-up in that number 12+ years ago.
M9s to me are the lowest priority. they have plenty of EMU equipment and the M7s' are fine and by the time the "9s" are on the property the M7s will all require a mid life over haul. so just get "M7Bs"

Back to "The Park"
The Park should get a 20-30 stall Shop built with a new transfer pit that can hold 1 pair of Mu's on it with 3rd rail.
Half the shop would be strictly heavy "diesel ops" the other half would "be MU ops"
a new pit and re use of the current table at a different location to turn engines, new "engine ready tracks" and the park would be a modern, clean and Eco friendly repair facility.
With most heavy repairs regulated to the new park, Hillside and Arch St can be used for the smaller work on MU's only.
And of course this new shop should be named nothing more then "The Park" (Morris Park on paper)

Keep us posted on the goings at "The Park"
  by M1 9147

Basically in my opinion, M7's with the fleet now, they are fine! Adding only from what I hear only 50 more makes no sense. Adding 50 more bilevel cars does make sense. Rebuild of the C3's from hearing will eventually happen! Also, more work on the DE/DM's should happen to make the current reliability problems (especially the DM's) go away so that more direct service to Penn Station happen. And I bet that just 1 engine can power an 8 car train after that.
  by LongIslandTool

As it stands now, all heavy work to locomotives will be done by Metro North on either their property or the LIRR property as of January 1, 2011.
  by Lirr168

What is considered a heavy repair? I'm wondering about how frequently moves to MN territory might be necessary. Considering the huge budget gaps, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to invest in a whole new facility at MP.
  by keyboardkat

Contrariwise, guys. Siemens made the inverters used in the DM-30s and DE-30s, as they make inverters for all EMD AC-traction locomotives.