• Issues with locomotive lights in my photos...

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

by Montrealrail

I thing that depending of the angle you picturing the train and depending of the kind of equipment too,but you can do an easy trick to get a good ajustment of your camera,to prevent this kind of results,but sometime,it making some great shots. when you get this kind of result...

that one was toked in a straight angle,almost a face off picture and the light make a blowing on the pic

and now,the same train,but the angle is wider,and the result is much better

The best trick I can give is to use a flash lignt and get some practice picture,in this way,you can get different kind of results,depending of the camera,if you get the option to put a filter,that could be great cause you will get the light on,but no overglowing all around..

when I get a new camera,I use to do that test to know an idea of the final results before to do some pics of trains

and get some great results

by TREnecNYP

I think it's more exposure, less optics. I try to keep my photos in bright daylight to avoid light orbs. I have an ultra zoom with minimal glass, and a folded optics pocket camera, and neither have these issues.

Maybe setting it to catch less light will allow these effects to not be as prominent.

Here i have the exposure darker to bring out the illuminated parts, however the nose lights being powerful come out over-exposed. Since these lights are directed forward in a narrow footprint, they don't have nearly the same effect from the side, however you can get it reduced by a lot of you get the right exposure balanced with the rest of the shot.

- A