• New Colorado Ski Train?

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by Tadman

No pics of their SD40's exist that I can find, but I have found these two:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 773&nseq=9
and
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 823&nseq=4

Fascinating to see what scheme an F40 turns up in these days. And to think it was one of the most boring units out there when it was Phase III and amfleets or Blue and Bilevels.
  by Tadman

Any word on this new ski train? I notice recently SLRG took delivery of two SD90's, could these be power for the new ski train? I can't imagine what use they would be in Southern Colorado.
  by electricron

Latest news I've found
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2 ... to-Denver/

Rio Grande Scenic Railroad (RGSR), which already operates scenic trains in southern Colorado, has made arrangements with all involved parties to run the ski train, which is operated for RGSR by Amtrak over rails owned by the Union Pacific Railroad. First-year contracts are still being finalized with Amtrak but the company is now taking reservations for the winter season, scheduled to begin Dec. 27 and continue on weekends, holidays and other select dates through Mar. 28, 2010.

The 2,000-seat trains will depart Denver's Union Station at 7 a.m., arriving at the ski slopes 56 miles and a little more than two hours later, bypassing I-70 traffic and avoiding the snowy drive over Berthoud Pass. The route climbs about 4,000 feet and passes through 28 tunnels before reaching the final mountain underpass, the 6.2 mile long Moffat Tunnel which is the highest railroad tunnel in the United States and passes under the Continental Divide. The train stops less than 100 yards from the base of the ski lifts of Winter Park.

Round-trip fares range from an introductory rate of $X for an Early-Bird coach seat, to $3*X for room with a 360-degree view of the Rockies in the dome car, including a continental breakfast en route to the slopes, après-ski snacks and non-alcoholic beverages. Each train will carry two comfortable cafe-lounge cars, where coach passengers can purchase drinks and snacks.

Also RGSR Ski Train web site http://www.riograndescenicrailroad.com/ ... Train.html
Also photos and videos provided by RGSR at http://www.riograndescenicrailroad.com/ ... Train.html
  by czhoghead

Ski Train test train tentatively scheduled Denver - Tabernash - Denver Dec. 23.
  by Hawaiitiki

Could even more Comet 1's be getting more leases on lives?
  by neroden

mikeydc03 wrote:This is good news! One would think that Amtrak would take this opportunity to cross market itself with this new Ski Train. Essentially there would be two frequencies on the route,
But they're an hour apart from each other. Less, on the evening run. So not really marketable that way.

The timing makes me wonder about some operational points.... both trains could easily be in Denver Union at once, which is fine right now, but the redesign planned for Denver Union will cause problems if they ever do it...
  by jhdeasy

Hawaiitiki wrote:Could even more Comet 1's be getting more leases on lives?
I don't think so. The Ski Train consist will apparently include x-ATSF full domes brought back from Alaska cruise/tour service and a mix of x-LIRR cars (C-1 prototype bilevels and older P72/P75 cars retired by LIRR circa 2000.
  by ne plus ultra

neroden wrote:
mikeydc03 wrote:This is good news! One would think that Amtrak would take this opportunity to cross market itself with this new Ski Train. Essentially there would be two frequencies on the route,
But they're an hour apart from each other. Less, on the evening run. So not really marketable that way.

The timing makes me wonder about some operational points.... both trains could easily be in Denver Union at once, which is fine right now, but the redesign planned for Denver Union will cause problems if they ever do it...
Can you elaborate? I just searched and found the architectural renderings at www.unionstationdenver.com, but I can't make much of it. The drawings almost look like they've got electric wires over the commuter trains. I thought the proposal was for standard commuter rail, supplementing the existing transit lines. Would Amtrak be unable to use commuter rail platforms? If so, why?
  by hi55us

jhdeasy wrote:
Hawaiitiki wrote:Could even more Comet 1's be getting more leases on lives?
I don't think so. The Ski Train consist will apparently include x-ATSF full domes brought back from Alaska cruise/tour service and a mix of x-LIRR cars (C-1 prototype bilevels and older P72/P75 cars retired by LIRR circa 2000.
That will be different seeing the C-1 prototypes going up the rocky's after seeing these cars in LIC all the time.
  by czhoghead

At DUS now:
SLRG 115
SLRG 116
Nenana
Grand Canyon
3101 Lounge
Super Dome
MKT403
To arrive on # 5 (20):
St. Paul Pass
Lake Pepin
Arizona
Caritas
-
Assuming successful equipment inspection by FRA/AMTK/UP, test train will operate 12/23.
-
No sign of the Iowa Northern F40 (for HEP) or any of the C1's.
  by electricron

http://denver.bizjournals.com/denver/st ... ily28.html

Most important dispute is that Amtrak on Dec. 8 upped the insurance requirements for the ski train from $2 million of coverage for the season to $200 million. Amtrak said the higher insurance levels were needed because the ski train wasn’t an “excusion” train, but a “commuter” train.

Come on Amtrak, the Ski Train has always been considered as an "Excursion" train. The ultimate "Excursion" train in the US. If Amtrak doesn't allow a private firm take this economic risk, they should do it themselves. It might be Amtrak's only slow train capable of actually making a profit...and prove Amtrak is really a "National" railroad.