• Manchester Roundhouse

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by PassRailSavesFuel

expensivelawnmower wrote:Having grown up in Manchester, I remember the 40' boxcars were occasionally moved and the grass and spilled grain cleaned up from time to time. I believe the grain company moved them back and forth with a tractor. The rails were broken a few yards west of the cars and since the installation of the Rt. 21 crossing all the track/switches that led to the cars have been removed. I think this included a track that went to the glass factory which I understood was preserved for some time in case they ever needed rail service.
Evan J. West

Having grown up in Manchester, I have a question for you. Who owns the roundhouse today?
  by Lehighton_Man

The county.

Nothing has been done to it because of all the contamination of the soil. The county has been working with the DEC over the problem. Rochester Insulated Glass wants it gone so they can expand their facilities again, but they cannot do so until a final decision has been made by the County.
  by PassRailSavesFuel

Lehighton_Man wrote:The county.

Nothing has been done to it because of all the contamination of the soil. The county has been working with the DEC over the problem. Rochester Insulated Glass wants it gone so they can expand their facilities again, but they cannot do so until a final decision has been made by the County.
I think it would be a great place to keep private cars. Inside!
  by expensivelawnmower

This is only hearsay, but I'll throw it in anyway.
I was told that RIG purchased the property at one point but ended up selling it back to Ontario County for $1 due to the contamination and to rid themselves of any liability. The roundhouse was and propbably still is - a popular hangout for the youth. Of course I've always wished to see it preserved and the best idea I could think of was to open a bike/skate park. My friends and I always used it as such anyway. I've personally dodged debris falling from the ceiling while hanging around inside and I'm sorry to say I don't think there is any hope for the structure. Into the early 90's there was some sort of recycling facility using the building and after the alledged purchase they cleaned up what must have been several truckloads of plastic and paper - some in bales. At this time, several "wells" were drilled in and around the roundhouse to take soil samples. There was a ton of Ragu labels all over and steel drums left over from the Ragu company previously using the space for storage (again, only hearsay). This raises a question in my mind - has anyone noticed the small addition on the North-ish side labeled "Stoda Whse"? I've never run into any information on just what this business consisted of. To further open the can of worms, I'd be interested to know more about "Koppers Forrest Products" which occupied the building across from the turntable. It's basement is flooded and has several tanks and an overwhelming odor of oil or diesel. I guess this would better fit a "Roundhouse in Manchester" thread?
Evan J. West
  by PassRailSavesFuel

expensivelawnmower wrote:This is only hearsay, but I'll throw it in anyway.
I was told that RIG purchased the property at one point but ended up selling it back to Ontario County for $1 due to the contamination and to rid themselves of any liability. The roundhouse was and propbably still is - a popular hangout for the youth. Of course I've always wished to see it preserved and the best idea I could think of was to open a bike/skate park. My friends and I always used it as such anyway. I've personally dodged debris falling from the ceiling while hanging around inside and I'm sorry to say I don't think there is any hope for the structure. Into the early 90's there was some sort of recycling facility using the building and after the alledged purchase they cleaned up what must have been several truckloads of plastic and paper - some in bales. At this time, several "wells" were drilled in and around the roundhouse to take soil samples. There was a ton of Ragu labels all over and steel drums left over from the Ragu company previously using the space for storage (again, only hearsay). This raises a question in my mind - has anyone noticed the small addition on the North-ish side labeled "Stoda Whse"? I've never run into any information on just what this business consisted of. To further open the can of worms, I'd be interested to know more about "Koppers Forrest Products" which occupied the building across from the turntable. It's basement is flooded and has several tanks and an overwhelming odor of oil or diesel. I guess this would better fit a "Roundhouse in Manchester" thread?
Evan J. West
All railroad property pretty much has contamination. The odor of oil doesn't surprize me at all. I really don't have a answer about the contamination issue.
  by Lehighton_Man

Kind of on the same topic, but really, We've had this discussion before. The roundhouse is too far gone to preserve it, unless you have $1,000,000 You want to contribute to its preservation. I mean, yeah, its possible, but is it realistic? No.
The structure has deteriorated beyond easy repair, and the soil is filled with contaminates. If something were to be stored there, like a piece of antique rail equipment after the roundhouse's "restoration", it would have to comply with so many EPA, and DEC laws.
Its just not worth it.
Otto, I think you can close this one now, until further request. Discussion of the boxcars has pretty much ended.
  by Otto Vondrak

Lehighton_Man wrote:Otto, I think you can close this one now, until further request. Discussion of the boxcars has pretty much ended.
If you have a message directed to me, you should PM me or email me. There's also two moderators of this Forum you should contact before me.

I split the roundhouse talk from the boxcar talk.