• Railroad Artifacts in Colorado Springs

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by Schaffner

I was stationed in Colorado Springs back in the early nineties, I was wondering if some of the old railroad artifacts that were still there then have continued to stand the test of time. Could anyone from the area let me know if these things are still there?

1. Where the Rock Island crossed Marksheffel Rd., there was an old covered hopper in Pennsylvania paint. I think it was effectively landlocked back then, as most of the crossings west of it were paved over.

2. Out by Falcon, on Route 24 if I remember correctly, was one of the old General Electric train sets used by the Manitou and Pikes Peak just sitting in someone’s lawn by the highway.

Also, I think I saw what could have been the old Rock Island roundhouse downtown not to far north of the D&RGW station downtown while traveling north on I-25. Was this building there in the 90’s, or was I imagining things? If so, is it still there now?

For the matter of the old Rock Island, is any of the track in the downtown area still in use, or is it just rusting in peace/or torn-up?

Thanks. I’d like to make it back to the Springs, but as of yet, student loan payments haven’t allowed me to budget such a trip. So if a local can fill me in on the current state of what were already old railroad artifacts back in the nineties, I’d greatly appreciate it.