• Only one train per day NY-Chicago -- contributing factors?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Pacific 2-3-1

Does anyone remember the so-called "ping-pong diplomacy" of 1971? This was the April, 1971 trip across the Hong Kong-Chinese border by a US table-tennis team, which was said to be the beginning of a resumption of the US relationship with the mainland People's Republic of China. At the time, reporters remarked that there was ONLY ONE TELEPHONE CIRCUIT in operation between the West and China, and that was via a Hong Kong telephone operator.

On May 1, 1971 (A-day) Amtrak began its mission of "making the trains worth traveling again", and New York (Penn) to Chicago service was cut back to just one train per day -- the "Broadway Limited"). ONLY ONE TRAIN PER DAY is still all Amtrak operates, because of one thing and another. What are the contributing factors to the present lack of train frequencies between the Big Apple and the Windy City?
  by electricron

What are the contributing factors to the present lack of train frequencies between the Big Apple and the Windy City?
Easy, Amtrak only has 25 Viewliner sleeper cars. There's barely enough sleepers for the sleeper/hotel trains they have now on the east coast.
That's important, according to Amtrak's schedule, it takes the Lake Shore Limited 18 hours to travel that distance (NYP 3:45 pm to CUS 9:45 am). 18 hours on a train is too long for just coach services. Including 6 to 8 hours of sleep or rest in a sleeper cabin, you're wide awake up to 10 to 12 hours.
The new Viewliner 2 RFP should allow Amtrak to at least double the number sleeper cars for the east coast, thereby allowing more sleeper/hotel trains from New York City to Chicago, Florida, etc.
  by mlrr

Local freight railroads and their concern for capacity would be one reason.

Another would be that elimination of mail and express traffic (via Amtrak) precluded any chance (Under the leadership of then Amtrak President David Gunn) of the "Three Rivers" remaining in service or "Pennsylvanian" service betewen Pittsburgh and Chicago. Again, part of that was due to backlash from freight railroads who felt Amtrak was straying from its intended purpose and steeling some of their freight business.

At one time there were 3 NY-CHI/day and that was not too long ago (2004/2005?). I'm not sure if the market justifies brining back another NY-CHI train. Although not a 1-seat ride; one could take the Pennsylvanian and make a transfer at Pittsburgh. Amtrak used to connect a section of the"Pennsylvanian" with the Capitol so that NY-Chicago passengers still had a one seat ride (this might have been before the Capitol's equipment transition to Superliners)

PS: I forgot to mention the Viewliner availability mentioned above. The Three Rivers used to operate with 1 viewliner as opposed to the typical two found on Florida trains and the Lake Shore. The Viewliner shortage really became an issue when the heritage crew dorms were retired. I believe they use viewliners for crew dormitory cars along with revenue sleeper service now.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Actually, Mr. Artur Honegger, there is 1 3/7 a day (Daily Lake Shore and Tri Weekly Cardinal), but be that as it may, your point stands.

Amtrak is simply "not in the market' for NY-Chicago business other than to connect with other trains at Chicago. The EB schedule of Lake Shore essentially emulates that of the New York Central Chicagoan which was, to say the least, a secondary train. Its arrival in New York provides for little else than a catch as catch can Dinner in Midtown then, if a visitor, off to your hotel. A ticketed public event on evening of arrival? best forget it.

I think that this is simply one more example of that the overnight "point to point' market has gone adios - and likely had done so well before A-Day (Dec 2, 1967 is when the Century was discontinued). There is simply no point in ranting "bring back The Century"; Amtrak has neither equipment nor wherewithal to operate such, and CSX and NS can find other use, i.e. "best use', for their plant.

Finally, the societal change needed for a "high value" traveler to say to anyone "I'll be out on The Century" would be, away from an internet community comprised largely of railfans, simply unthinkable.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by travelrobb

Also, it's very slow. There' s probably not much additional demand for present-day NYC-Chicago service than what's now satisfied by the LSL.
  by David Benton

they could provide a 2nd service , if they changed one buffalo new york service to an overnite run . this would involve turning the viewliners on both the new run and the lsl mid journey . i.e only using them for the overnite portion of the journey .
  by SecaucusJunction

Oh please... the Amtrak trains from the east to Chicago are overflowing and would continue to overflow even more with more capacity. The Broadway Limited could and should be restored with the purchase of more equipment. The Three Rivers was a joke and the lack of a dining car and good equipment was a great excuse to kill the train. Didnt that train even run with Horizon coach cars? The fact that Newark, Trenton, Philadelphia and Harrisburg now run without one daily train to Chicago is an abomination. This would be a HUGE market if Amtrak had any service running there.

Living in NJ, I would welcome a train to Chicago that didn't leave at 9pm at night and wasn't known as the "Late for Sure Limited". The one train from Chicago to NYC per day should NOT be a "clean up" train. A better departure time from Chicago and a late morning or noon arrival to the east coast would have plenty of New Yorkers flocking to ride the train coming from Chicago and all points west.

Amtak also has 50 Viewliners, not 25 with about 39 running at any given time.
  by jp1822

electricron wrote:
What are the contributing factors to the present lack of train frequencies between the Big Apple and the Windy City?
Easy, Amtrak only has 25 Viewliner sleeper cars. There's barely enough sleepers for the sleeper/hotel trains they have now on the east coast.
That's important, according to Amtrak's schedule, it takes the Lake Shore Limited 18 hours to travel that distance (NYP 3:45 pm to CUS 9:45 am). 18 hours on a train is too long for just coach services. Including 6 to 8 hours of sleep or rest in a sleeper cabin, you're wide awake up to 10 to 12 hours.
The new Viewliner 2 RFP should allow Amtrak to at least double the number sleeper cars for the east coast, thereby allowing more sleeper/hotel trains from New York City to Chicago, Florida, etc.
There are 50 Viewliner sleeper in Amtrak's "active" roster, but only 39 are called into revenue service on a given day. Up until the 21t century (except for a short time in the late 1990s), Amtrak had the Lake Shore Limited and Broadway Limited or Three Rivers operating to/from Chicago and NYC. Also the Pennyslvanian entered the scene running from Philly to Chicago - as a coach only train and largely due to the M&E initiative.

At the time the Broadway Limited or Three Rivers were running (essentially on similiar routes etc.) Amtrak had these trains operate as the "cleanup train" out of Chicago (not the Lake Shore Limited). The Three Rivers was canceled around 2005 or 2006, forget what year exactly, and this gave rise to the sole Chicago-NYP train that we know of today - the Lake Shore Limited. When the Three Rivers was discontinued, the current eastbound schedule of the Lake Shore Limited was modified so it could be the "cleanup train" out of Chicago. As Mr. Norman eluded to, this was a big downgrade, as you now catch the Lake Shore late at night westbound out of Chicago and arrive into NYC relatively late as well, offering little, if no connections to other Amtrak trains.

Whereas, the Three Rivers used to arrive into NYC between 7 and 8 p.m., but offered connecting service in Philly for some southbound trains etc. Plus the Lake Shore's schedule had it arriving into NYC at around 3:00 p.m. - in time to make various connections it can no longer make.

Prior to the re-scheduling of the Three Rivers and removal of the three viewliners that protected this train set's schedule, the Silver Meteor operated with three trainsets and was able to do a same day turn at Sunnyside, NY. However, in addition to re-scheduling the Lake Shore Limited, Amtrak also altered the schedule of the Silver Meteor, whereby it would now require four trainsets to operate. So guess what happened? The Three Rivers' three Viewliners and some Amfleet II cars it operated were handed over to the Silver Meteor.

Although this is likely not to happen, the Three Rivers could emerge once again establishing NYC-Chicago service with sleepers, while still retaining 39 Viewliner sleepers in operation. What would have to happen though is that the Silver Meteor's southbound departure from NYC would have to pushed back to it's original time slot of 7:01 p.m. (after the height of NYC rush hour). I always preferred the Silver Meteor's later departure from NYC (rather than its current one at 3:15 p.m.) as this would allow descent arrival times into Charleston and southern points, as well as allowing a full day of work in NYC beofre escaping for the weekend. Likewise, it's northbound schedule once had the Meteor arriving at 10 a.m., which again allowed for a descent arrival work day into NYC. That then allowed the train to be serviced from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Chicago does same day turns on the Capitol Limited and Lake Shore Limited trainsets often in the same amount of time. Plus OTP has greatly increased recently that one would think this could occur.

Last point - in the early years when there just was the Broadway Limited between NYC and Chicago, Amtrak was said to have restored faith enough in train travel between these cities and intermediate points, that Amtrak contemplated adding a second train on the Broadway's route - to be known as the Manhattan Limited. But this did not come to be. Rather the Broadway's consist largely swelled. Plus at that time it was sort of serving double duty by having a "Washington Section." This mirrored the route from LA to Chicago on the Southwest Chief. Amtrak almost brought back a second train on this route. But it was not to be. Neither was the Skyline Connection between NYP/Philly-Pittsburgh-Cleveland-Chicago, also as part of Amtrak's M&E initative in the 21st century. So as late as 2001, Amtrak nearly had four trains in service between NYC and Chicago:

- Lake Shore Limited (still exists), with Viewliner sleeping car service.
- Three Rivers (discontinued), first with Heritage sleepers, then it got Viewliner sleeping car service.
- Pennsylvanian (truncated to become a Pittsburgh-NYC day train), coach train only with no sleeping cars, even when operating to Chicago.
- Skyline Connection - planned, put on the schedule, but never turned a wheel as a revenue train! It was to take the Lake Shore Limited's Boston Viewliner sleeper!

Gunn was largely the one who pushed back the Viewliner's utilization to only 36 to 39 out of 50 Viewliner operating at one time. And part of this could be to preserve the fleet, as who knows when replacements will come to be (even though there is an RFP in for Viewliner II's.

Hope I got *most* of this right! Please feel free to add on or correct where I may have went astray.

Personally, I'd like to see some sort of premiere NYC-Chicago train emerge - be it from the Lake Shore Limited or the ashes of the Broadway Limited. The Lake Shore's eastbound schedule is just so passenger unfriendly at the moment making it a less desirable train - let alone the lack of a full service diner. It would be nice to see a train as follows:

Lv NYC - 4:45 p.m.
Ar Chi - 10:00 a.m.

Lv Chi - 6:00 p.m.
Ar NYC - 1:30 p.m.

Get ride of the padding that exists with the Lake Shore and did exist with the Three Rivers/Broadway Limited. Plus the Three Rivers/Broadway Limited could benefit from speedier travel times on the NEC and Keystone Corridor, while also utilizing the NYC Water Level route.
  by Otto Vondrak

My personal fantasy is a resumption of the "New England States" Chicago-Boston run, giving upstate a second train to Chicago, with the NYP-ALB trains making up the difference and connections.

-otto-
  by n2cbo

Otto Vondrak wrote:My personal fantasy is a resumption of the "New England States" Chicago-Boston run, giving upstate a second train to Chicago, with the NYP-ALB trains making up the difference and connections.

-otto-
Since Otto opened up the "fantasy" door :wink: ...

I would like to see some sort of a "Phoebe Snow" come back NYP - CHI via Midtown Direct - Engine change in Dover, NJ then over a RESTORED CUTOFF - Scranton - Binghamton - and as much of the old EL route as is left to Chicago.

Well one CAN STILL Dream........... :-)
  by AgentSkelly

The LSL is probably one, if not the only train the system where the customers will show up no matter if its late or not. Of the 3 times I have been on the train in various segments, its always been full to the brim.

Since we are in fantasy-land now, I'd like to see an inverted schedule of the LSL for both directions to add capacity provided equipment can be found somewhere.
  by mtuandrew

You know what I'd like to see? A reliable, Amtrak-friendly (or Amtrak-controlled) railroad from Porter to Chicago, a majority of Norfolk Southern's freight routed via Nickel Plate (freeing up the LS&MS for fast intermodals and passenger trains), and stations that look nicer than a Waffle House. :-D

Failing that though, let's start with a Three Rivers with nicer accommodations. Maybe eventually it'll be worthy of the name Broadway Limited to go along with a new Twenty-First Century Limited, but not until either can reliably hold a fifteen-hour schedule.
  by goodnightjohnwayne

Otto Vondrak wrote:My personal fantasy is a resumption of the "New England States" Chicago-Boston run, giving upstate a second train to Chicago, with the NYP-ALB trains making up the difference and connections.

-otto-
Your personal "fantasy" is actually fairly plausible. On balance, there are expenses which a least partially offset the savings inherent in running a combined New York/Boston consist.

Has Amtrak studied the possibility of a separate Chicago-Boston train since the late 1990s?
  by jp1822

-otto-
Well that was on the M&E list too. I think some people even have commemorative tickets for this train, as it was so "close" to coming to be. But like the Skyline Connection, it never came to be.
  by jp1822

SecaucusJunction wrote:Oh please... the Amtrak trains from the east to Chicago are overflowing and would continue to overflow even more with more capacity. The Broadway Limited could and should be restored with the purchase of more equipment. The Three Rivers was a joke and the lack of a dining car and good equipment was a great excuse to kill the train. Didnt that train even run with Horizon coach cars? The fact that Newark, Trenton, Philadelphia and Harrisburg now run without one daily train to Chicago is an abomination. This would be a HUGE market if Amtrak had any service running there.

Living in NJ, I would welcome a train to Chicago that didn't leave at 9pm at night and wasn't known as the "Late for Sure Limited". The one train from Chicago to NYC per day should NOT be a "clean up" train. A better departure time from Chicago and a late morning or noon arrival to the east coast would have plenty of New Yorkers flocking to ride the train coming from Chicago and all points west.

Amtak also has 50 Viewliners, not 25 with about 39 running at any given time.
Agreed. The facts for the popularity of the Three Rivers perhaps best was found in its Viewliner sleeper service. Perhaps the coaches were not as full as the Viewliner sleeper, which sort of gives rise to the question – should this train have had more Viewliner sleepers than coaches and sort of go after the high-end revenue.

It's funny that as much as Amtrak wanted to kill the Three Rivers, its Viewliner sleeper was often sold out months in advance - nearly similar to the Cardinal's lone Viewliner sleeper.

The Three Rivers was the "clean-up" train out of Chicago, but I would often book on this train just to play it safe with long distance western long haul connections. The Three Rivers did do its best to offer meals in the Horizon dinette for sleeping car passengers. They did put their best foot forward in this respect, I will admit. It sort of was the pre-cursor to the “Amfleet Diner Lite.”

Anyway, often when a "misconnect" occurred, people were accommodated in coach rather than in a sleeper on the Three Rivers, even though the train they were supposed to connect with was in a sleeper – roomette or bedroom. But those who wanted a sleeper and wouldn’t settle for coach on misconnects were often out of luck or Amtrak did bend to put them up in a hotel and then try to re-book them on a sleeper to the East Coast the following day. So often, like the Lake Shore Limited, the train’s Viewliners were full before considering any “misconnects” and trying to serve as a “clean-up” train. A true “clean-up train” from Chicago would likely offer an extra coach or Viewliner to meet demand.

Amtrak is definitely missing out by not having a daily train to Chicago directly serving points in NJ, Philly and Harrisburg. Harrisburg had a LOT of Amish passengers heading to Chicago. I don’t see as many Amish people riding the Capitol Limited or Lake Shore Limited that I saw on the Three Rivers.

The tri-weekly Cardinal just doesn’t cut it. And again, the eastbound Three Rivers still allowed for passengers to connect to southbound trains on the NEC, which can’t be done with the Lake Shore’s schedule arrival into NYC. Particularly, it could still try to make a Florida connection with the Silver Meteor (when the Meteor departed NYC at 7:00 p.m.) and even with trains to the tidewater region of Virginia (often satisfying those who missed the Capitol Limited out of Chicago etc.).

If anything, the Three Rivers would make it on a packed Viewliner sleeper – it was heavily patronized. I often took a day room on the Viewliner from NYC to Pittsburgh (or even Harrisburg when Keystone trains had less frequency to Harrisburg and the only thing left was a sleeper on the Three Rivers. And without a doubt, as I got off the Three Rivers or on it at Pittsburgh, my room was “turned” for passengers boarding or de-boarding in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh was a huge turnover point on the Three Rivers, and an extra coach was often carried along and opened up just to accommodate passengers between Pittsburgh and NYC. The Three Rivers offered a great passenger friendly overnight schedule from Chicago to Pittsburgh, and I remember many sleeping car passengers taking advantage of such.

I recall the coaches sometimes being Horizons on the Three Rivers (for short-haul passengers), but Amfleet II for long-haul passengers. Then when the Pennsylvanian was truncated to become just a Pittsburgh-NYC train once again, the Three Rivers was able to operate with more Amfleet II’s, but still the Horizon dinette. And towards the end of its service, it was a refurbished Horizon dinette. Again, Amtrak tried their best with food service aboard the Three Rivers, in the absence of a full service Heritage Diner.

What did Amtrak do with the Broadway’s Heritage Diners – I don’t know. Likely Amtrak suffered a setback and had to retire the ole Broadway Heritage Diners and use them as parts to keep the other ones going. Short-sighted likely. And the Horizon Dinette, like the operation of the Cardinal, was the only “lounge” area for the train as well.

I would love to see a reincarnated Broadway Limited (as the premiere NYC-Chicago train operating on the schedule I put forth above). Amtrak could then think about scheduling the Lake Shore Limited a little differently. Or even vice versa, as that may make more sense.

Perhaps Amtrak should think about loading three Viewliners on each of the reincarnated Broadway Limited’s train set, that of course would include a Viewliner Diner and some sort of descent lounge car – other than an Amfleet Café car. Amtrak would just have to monitor demand between sleeper space among the Lake Shore Limited and reincarnated Broadway Limited.

With an order of Viewliners coming, Amtrak could actually pull this off, rather than my other suggestion of sort of making the Capitol Limited into an Empire Builder model, where it would “split” or “combine” at Pittsburgh with one section going to Harrisburg and the other to Washington DC, yet combined west of Pittsburgh. At Harrisburg, passengers could easily do a “cross the platform change” to a regular or dedicated “Keystone corridor train.” In this scenario, Amtrak would likely have to assign two Superliner coaches, a Superliner sleeper, and Superliner Sightseer Lounge on the Pittsburgh-Harrisburg section. And perhaps a Superliner Sightseer Lounge could be kept at Pittsburgh so both sections could have a Superliner Sightseer Lounge and also reduce the requirement for having a Superliner Sightseer Lounge. Moreover, if scheduled properly, the Superliner section from Pittsburgh-Harrisburg could do a same day turn at Harrisburg, to further reduce equipment requirements. Thus such a train would need 4 Superliner coaches, one Superliner Sightseer Lounge (removed/added at Pittsburgh during the split/combo) and two Superliner Sleepers. I would think Amtrak could find these Superliner cars – especially with overhauls being done at Beech Grove.

The single level fully reincarnated Broadway Limited would likely have to wait for the arrival of the Viewliner II’s. However, I won't hold my breath on such a restoration. But knowing one Viewliner sleeper was sold out way in advance, what would another Viewliner on this rain do for it, or another etc. Via Rail Canada operates more sleepers than coaches on it overnight trains. Somehow there is a formula for success with this model, with certain trains!