• The onset of CW60ACs on Intermodal trains

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by SEPTALRV9072

I've noticed lately that the CW60ACs (or CW44-6s w/e) have been sort of relegated so to speak to intermodals trains only. I don't see them on manifests anymore. Any reason for these big units being cast away on relatively light trains?
  by crazy_nip

SEPTALRV9072 wrote:I've noticed lately that the CW60ACs (or CW44-6s w/e) have been sort of relegated so to speak to intermodals trains only. I don't see them on manifests anymore. Any reason for these big units being cast away on relatively light trains?

that is what they were bought for...

high speed intermodal service

they were originally used for that too, until they started failing and were de-rated to 4400, then they were put on any junk manifest or whatever

now that they are back to 6000hp, they are going back to their intended duty

by Urban D Kaye

I've also seen quite a few of the big GE's on CSX intermodals and stacks...it may be as simple as CSX putting its most reliable big power on its priority trains.

But your question did get me searching thru my photo archives. I had to go back to Feb 04 to find a pic of an AC6000CW leading a mixed freight...

by Jay Potter

On flat terrain, CSXT needs about two horsepower per ton to move a train slightly in excess of 60 mph; and it would like to move its intermodal traffic with two--as opposed to three--units. An AC6000CW's 6000 hp will allow this to happen, assuming that both of the AC6000CWs operate reliably. Situations in which two AC6000CWs are accompanied by a third unit indicate that either (1) the train is unusually heavy or (2) there is some question about the reliability of one of the AC6000CWs.

by crazy_nip

there was a while here when Q188/Q189, arguably tampa's hottest intermodal train, had 83/8400 series SD40-2's and leaser (usually ex-BN) SD40-2's as sole power, and usually only 2 units period

This was before the 4700's started showing up

things are better now, getting mostly AC units and newer -8/-9's

Q188 (north) had 6 units the other day. 2 CSX AC4400's and 4 various UP units (2 SD70M's, a C44-9 and a AC4400) so I venture to guess that was a power move back up to Jax...

this train REGULARLY ran solely with, or had at least 1 UP unit in consist for years

by CSX Conductor

These engines have always been pretty common on van trains between Chicago and Boston, due to the need for cb signals east of Selkirk,NY.

Many married pairs would go back and forth continously between Beacon Park (Boston) and Bedford Park (Chicago).

by roadster

Nip,
When did they start rerating these monsters back up to 6000hp? I hadn't heard that yet.

by crazy_nip

it began a few months ago

all but 699 have been re-rated to 6000 hp

the only reason 699 has not is because it had a FDL-16 engine swapped in back in 2002. I dont know if/when they will put an HDL-16 back in it

by charlie6017

Was this de-rating (and re-rating) done with a computer chip?

by roadster

Thanks Nip,
Charlie, the derating was acomplished through the onboard computers, I don't believe chips were involved, just comand functions via the onboard with special password protected subsystem. Limiting the amount of power produced by the generator,or delivered to the traction motors, or reducing the RPMs of each throttle setting. Nice to know those beasts are back up to their full potential.

by charlie6017

Thanks Roadster!
Went to www.bullsheet.com and the only de-rated unit left is the "Diversity In Motion" engine 699.

by CSX Conductor

FYI: the 699 isn't the only engine that has the "Diversity In Motion" markings. The 5001& 5001 have it too........maybe a couple others as well.

by nick_anshant

CSX AC6000 608 led manifest Q439 today.

by Urban D Kaye

CSX Conductor wrote:FYI: the 699 isn't the only engine that has the "Diversity In Motion" markings. The 5001& 5001 have it too........maybe a couple others as well.
Just those 3.