Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by NS VIA FAN

Nice! Thanks for Posting.

I know a couple of kids that would love to have this on their model RR!...... A co-worker has a two sons that saw this loco on the Bras d’Or and just had to go for a ride on “The Kool-Aid Train”. So a trip was planned on the Ocean to Ontario that summer. Well the whole family enjoyed the trip so much they’ve done it every summer since and are leaving tomorrow on the Ocean to go to Ontario for Christmas. They won’t get the Kool-Air unit but possibly a “Spiderman”.

These Logo-Locomotives are a good move by VIA. Sure brings attention to the train and has probably lead to a lot of new riders similar to the above.

by Dieter

Favourite locomotive or paint scheme?

Locomotive? Alco FA.

Paint Scheme? Spider Man.

Do I approve of making a locomotive an Advertising billboard? NO, In urban environs, it tends to blend in. I consider it an eyesore out on the landscape.

D/
  by jp1822

I personally like the new paint scheme that is to be applied to the F40s, and already on the Genesis units (the green paint scheme so to speak). I think, however, the yellow and silver go better with the stainless trains though. I've never been a fan of advertisements on the locomotives - F40s or even if they were to be put ont the Genesis units.
  by timberley

I assume we're talking just VIA Rail here...so I have a few....

P42DC #902 (the one with the extra blue stripe)

LRC-3

F40PH-2 in the CBC 50th Anniversary Scheme

#6400 in the new scheme

And of course, the Kool-Aid scheme. That locomotive pulled the first VIA Rail train I remember going on. The first one I ever rode was an all LRC consist (pulled by an LRC), but I was about 2 years old!
  by Darien Red Sox

timberley wrote: P42DC #902 (the one with the extra blue stripe)
Mine too. Via has a nice paint scheme for the P42, the Amtrak ones don't look good in there paint. As for outside Via I would need to say the P32 in the CTDOT(Connecticut Department of Transportation) scheme (my aviator), the Metro North P32s in the new Metro North scheme look good but not as good as the Via or CTDOT ones.
  by espeefoamer

I like the LRC locos.I think they are really cool.They were the last link to ALCo diesels,as they were powered by the ALCo 251 engine.I rode an LRC trainset with an LRC loco between Toronto and Montreal in 1995.This was the train that made the trip in 3:59. :-D
  by Montrealrail

My favorite locomotive is the 6400

I get a paint in progress,but I have to wait for Microscale decals,to get new decals,cause I get by 6 time at the hobbyshop and there is a major default in the decals,that was too thick,by the way,as soon you put on water,the decal comme in hundred of oieces,even if is brand new,after a claim I still ait for their answer to be refund or if they can send me for free at least one or two decal in good condition,to undammage my waste of money...

they not hurry to reply :-D
  by Tom6921

I've already painted a model of VIA 6400 in its current livery. For decals, I used Microscale VIA P42 decals and some decals from a Kool-Aid unit (numberboards). All in all, 6400 came out nicely.

However, if I was to model 6402, it would be a challenge because I'd have to do a bit of kitbashing.
  by buddah

I like the VIA p42 in there current scheme the swoosh fits them nicely, I however prefer the repainted flat blue locomotive vs the original chameleon color green/blue/aqua.etc paint job depending on the sun light. however now with the LRCs going in for a total overhaul who knows what will match when there done rehabbing those cars.. I fell sorry for Jason ( of Rapido trains) I know hes now in turmoil..lol.

RDC

by jp1822

Where was that RDC picture taken at? I actually like the RDC's and their concept for essentially short haul runs. For longer runs, the RDC's would have to be "spruced" up a little and even offer some sort of food service. I know BC Rail, for example operated RDC's for the long run between North Vancouver and Prince George, but I believe they offered sort of an upgraded class of service that offered food service and the like at your seat.
  by NS VIA FAN

jp1822 wrote:Where was that RDC picture taken at? I actually like the RDC's and their concept for essentially short haul runs. For longer runs, the RDC's would have to be "spruced" up a little and even offer some sort of food service. I know BC Rail, for example operated RDC's for the long run between North Vancouver and Prince George, but I believe they offered sort of an upgraded class of service that offered food service and the like at your seat.
Station is Nanaimo BC which was extensively damaged in a fire but I believe is being restored (perhaps Tyler can confirm)

CN and later VIA rebuilt some RDC units with Snack-bars containing fridges/microwaves/coffee urns etc and arranged a few adjacent seats in quads with tables to provided a limited meal service. The Halifax-Truro-Sydney RDCs operated like this. CN also had an RDC unit on the Campbellton-Matapedia-Gaspe run with swivel-type parlour cars seats in one end.

Back in my college days I rode a “Railiner” just about every Friday and Sunday night in the late ‘70s.....So what a pleasure it was to ride an RDC again on a round trip on the Malahat a couple of years ago. First time in 25 years! Taking pictures, I was immediately spotted as a railfan by the conductor and had a great conversation with him.