• Steam to Denver 2009

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by conrail71

I saw on the UP Steam program website that they are planning trips between Cheyenne, Wy. and Denver, Co. in early
July. I have just relocated to northern Colorado from upstate NY and know nothing about the area. I am in Carr, Co. with the former C&S at my front door. Could any one offe me some advice on how and where to shoot this event?

Mike
  by TB Diamond

Mike:

It appears that you are closer to Norfolk than to Carr. Find Larimer Co. 29 Road and head east. This turns into Weld Co. 128 Road before you cross I-25. This, in turn, becomes Weld Co. 126 Road before passing through Carr. The UP Cheyenne-Denver line passes through Carr where, during the age of steam, there was located a huge coaling facility. Continue east on 126 until U.S. 85 is reached. Head south on 85 which parallels the UP for mile upon mile.
  by conrail71

Awesome! That's the kind of info I've been hoping for! We are on Weld Cty Rd 5 right now. As I look out the front door we look down on RTE 25 with the former C&S just west of the highway. The Rawhide powerplant is just to the north. I can tell by looking at maps that the UP runs north to south just east of us but I havn't seen it yet. I think this is the line you're talking about. Now that I have a road name I'll have to do some recon this week. Maybee I'll see you out there.
Thanks for the help!
Mike
  by JBnWaverly

Conrail- From your house drive south on Weld CR 5 watch for Larimer CR 64 (its asphalt) runs east-west. Turn east on CR 64 (which turns into Weld CR 100) and drive for about 8 miles. You intersect same US 85 at the metropolis of Nunn, CO. You will see the UP line. just to the east of the highway. The UP is scheduled to run Cheyenne Frontier Days special July 16-19 on this main. Search steam excursions for complete details. Now if you want to check out UP transcon main, head north on I-25 about 25 miles. You will pass over the main. You immediately exit at Lincolnway and turn east, there are numerous places to safely park. You will also see where BNSF Font Range Sub crosses over UP via truss bridge. Up to mid 2008, it was not uncommon to see 10-20 trains on a given afternoon. Now with the economy in the tank, it is maybe 1/4 of that, if your lucky, but still a great trip. Another great time is head west from Cheyenne on I-80 which parallels UP most of the way across Wyo. JB
  by conrail71

Sweet, thanks a ton! When we came out to visit 4 years ago I was all over Cheyenne! The steam guys were extra friendly... :wink: I don't think there should ever be a reason for me to run out of trains to watch. I was in Ft. Collins yesterday and saw the BNSF running North, IN THE STREET!!! (love street level trackage) Then as we were heading home we caught a short line with a couple of rebuilt GP's at Prospect. I've got to find the cable for the camera to download these shots! Thanks again for the info, thank God for railroad.net. I'd be lost without it!
Mike
  by Otto Vondrak

conrail71 wrote:Thanks again for the info, thank God for railroad.net. I'd be lost without it!--Mike
lol... I say that all the time. ;-)

Mike, when you get your steam shots, make sure you share with us!! Use that new Flickr PRO account someone got you!! :-)

-otto-
  by conrail71

Well, following the directions of JBnWaverly, I went east this afternoon and found Nunn, Co. We went as far south as Greely and found 3 good spots to shoot from. I also found that the Nunn Cafe has great cookies and Rice Krispie treats! Mmmmmm, just what every diabetic needs! :wink:
Mike
ps, Flickr Pro... Huh, wha ???? Why, wo wo wee wha?