• Anybody know how to sharpen a punch?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by RearOfSignal

The die on my punch is getting a little dull, and with the new tickets we have leaving chads can make for confusion. Anybody know how to sharpen a punch? Heard punching through sandpaper might help?
  by DutchRailnut

Just squeeze the punch so it will touch real fine emery cloth and work emery cloth in circles.
  by DutchRailnut

Ticket punches can hardly be compared to any of punches in google search, sorry.
  by Jtgshu

RearOfSignal wrote:The die on my punch is getting a little dull, and with the new tickets we have leaving chads can make for confusion. Anybody know how to sharpen a punch? Heard punching through sandpaper might help?
I used to sharpen mine by punching through like 100 grit sandpaper - it didn't work great, but it did help with the "chads" and my punch design was sort of like a Club in a deck of cards, and the chads would hang LOT. Its amazing how folks can get a "hanging chad" to look like solid paper. I was always amazed at how good it looked til i bent the ticket and it would pop up :)

"Oh im sorry sir, this ticket is no good, do you have a different one?" grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  by jwhite07

Just asked a conductor I know... he says using the punch on a flattened aluminum can helps.