Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by RearOfSignal

OTP really only makes a difference if you travel to the end of your train's run. There's fat in the timetables to get the train to its final stop on-time. 7-8 mins from Brewster to Southeast is fat.
  by shlustig

And what would the on-time figure be if there was not a 6" grace period for each train?????
  by Clean Cab

Until about 1996 a MN train was considered "on time" if it reached its final destination within 5 minutes and 29 seconds. I wonder how good MN's OPT would be if this standard was still used.
  by DutchRailnut

the standard is now 5 minutes and 59 seconds, its not a MNCR standard, but its set by APTA, and all APTA members use same 5 minute and 59 second rule.
  by The Interloafer

5 minutes, 59 seconds is very exact. For arrivals, is that measured when the head end pulls even with the platform? When the doors open?
  by DutchRailnut

It is believe to be set once train hits final platform circuit, which starts about where north end acces stairways are on platforms.
  by Swedish Meatball

How often are trains late in MBS territory? I doubt any Crew would report they arrived 6 minutes late. :-D
  by DutchRailnut

I do , after 6 minutes its my wallet, the hell with a 100% button.
  by playdough

Anyone want to speculate (or provide actual data) on why the late trains are late? I can think of a few general reasons (from a passenger's perspective, anyway):

(1) Passenger-related (slow to board; medical issue; etc.)
(2) "We got no door light..."
(3) Crew-related (reported to the yard late, injured during the run, etc.)
(4) Equipment-related (brake test bad, etc.)
  by Patrick A.

I gaurentee that OTP will be taking a HUGE hit at least on the New Haven Line following Monday's snowstorm. Hopefully the summer will bring more workable conditions to the ancient M-2's.
  by RearOfSignal

playdough wrote:Anyone want to speculate (or provide actual data) on why the late trains are late? I can think of a few general reasons (from a passenger's perspective, anyway):

(1) Passenger-related (slow to board; medical issue; etc.)
(2) "We got no door light..."
(3) Crew-related (reported to the yard late, injured during the run, etc.)
(4) Equipment-related (brake test bad, etc.)
#4 - Sometimes in this weather the brakes won't release, if you're lucky enough to catch it during the brake test it still might slow you down having to walk to new equipment on the other side of the yard when it's already leaving time. If not you'll have to work it out at station or wherever you're stopped. Plus, speed restrictions in extreme temperatures slow things down.

#2 - On some trains where the doors only open on one side for the majority of the ride, not all the doors on the other side will open. Sometimes happens at 125th if you switch over to the other side. You have to allow extra time for the passengers to board/exit with fewer open leaves.

#3 - Happens to everybody, what are you going to do? I'm not going to kill myself to get to work in the snow. I'll leave early and drive soundly, hope to get there on-time.

#1 - The passengers are usually still walking to the platform in weather like this, understandably walking slowly in the icy conditions, in a steady stream when the train arrives. Most guys are good giving everyone a reasonable chance to get to on the train. I'd rather wait another 20 seconds to let someone on than to have them fall and injure themselves running on a snowy platform. (Notice "on the platform" not walking out of the Dunkin Donuts, or from the parking lot across the street down the block, or while you're still looking for a space.)
  by Erie-Lackawanna

playdough wrote:Anyone want to speculate (or provide actual data) on why the late trains are late?
Speculation = bad; usually leads to flame wars or at least hurt feelings.

The railroad can provide the data you look for. Just ask them. Most people here can only provide guesses, which are as helpful as M3s in Stamford.

Jim
  by Clean Cab

It is impressive when MN runs all its trains on time within any 24 hour period especially considering how crummy some of their equipment is. There is no arguing with how MN's ridership has grown. More and more people are taking the train and parking their cars. Hopefully in a few years once all divisions are operating new cars, even more people will be drawn to MN trains.
  by RearOfSignal

Does anyone have a record of recent 100% OTP days? Wonder if weekday/weekends have higher %?