• No Parking at Blossom/University in Rochester?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nessman

Doesn't the Roch NRHS chapter have its meetings near University / Blossom? Couldn't a couple of officers from the chapter meet with the building management and make a case for leaving it open to railfans citing XX years of peaceful co-existence with former property management, blah blah blah?
  by BR&P

Nessman, one problem with that approach would be that the NRHS would then be taking responsibility - not in a legal sense, but by reputation - for anybody who showed up. If some moron from anywhere went to the site and created a problem, the NRHS would by association get an undeserved black eye. I am not an NRHS member but I doubt they would want to put their name on an agreement - even a verbal one - which included people who were not members, on property the NRHS did not own, and had no control over.
  by jnugent56

BR&P wrote:Nessman, one problem with that approach would be that the NRHS would then be taking responsibility - not in a legal sense, but by reputation - for anybody who showed up. If some moron from anywhere went to the site and created a problem, the NRHS would by association get an undeserved black eye. I am not an NRHS member but I doubt they would want to put their name on an agreement - even a verbal one - which included people who were not members, on property the NRHS did not own, and had no control over.
As a member and trustee, I would have to agree with you.

I've never actually been to this location... is it really that good?
  by Conrail4evr

jnugent56 wrote:
BR&P wrote:Nessman, one problem with that approach would be that the NRHS would then be taking responsibility - not in a legal sense, but by reputation - for anybody who showed up. If some moron from anywhere went to the site and created a problem, the NRHS would by association get an undeserved black eye. I am not an NRHS member but I doubt they would want to put their name on an agreement - even a verbal one - which included people who were not members, on property the NRHS did not own, and had no control over.
As a member and trustee, I would have to agree with you.

I've never actually been to this location... is it really that good?
It's a good Westbound shot (kind of crappy for EBs), though you'll also miss anything going via the Shore. Moreso, it was just a good place to sit. Right there in the city, safe, plenty of room, and no one bothered you. There really isn't anything else around there that measures up.
  by nessman

It's a great location. What you miss on the West Shore, you gain by being close to Rochester Yard.

Occasionally you have a bonehead who'll pull his car up so far as to block the view of others. I didn't really go there much - and when I did I tend to foam alone.
  by nessman

jnugent56 wrote:Fair enough. I'll have to check it out when things calm down a little.
You're missing the point of this topic... railfans not welcome at that spot anymore.
  by alsorailfan

Joe,
Check the link out for a few pictures of the scenes from the area more or less. As stated earlier, most of the trees/bushes had been removed other wise it was pretty much what you see in the first zoom picture. The east looking picture, the train had gotten far enough into the block to turn off the signals. The northeast looking picture clearly shows the buildings across the tracks.
Still am curious as to if anyone out there knows the reason for the heavy defoliation in that section? You can also see the TV station's satellite, the light pole, the shady tree and picnic table. These are pictures which would normally not be posted due to quality, lighting, composition, etc.

http://picasaweb.google.com/alsorailfan ... ssomScenes

chris
  by jnugent56

nessman wrote:You're missing the point of this topic... railfans not welcome at that spot anymore.
I understand the topic. Chances are, things will settle down with time. Let me rephrase what I said: "I'll have to check it out when it is ok to do so." I'm not talking about setting up camp there either... I'm just a little curious what all the fuss is about.

Thanks for the link, Chris! Is that another parking lot on the other side of the tracks, or are some of these photos looking back on the lot?
  by alsorailfan

That's the other parking lot used by the TV station as well as the other industry(ies?) which is patrolled by a security car. Was hoping I could find that no trespassing sign on the 'cowpath' but that would have been looking directly north.
chris
  by judgesmails

It wouldn't surprise me if this ended up being some sort of an insurance issue. The owners may worry (and rightfully so) that if a railfan got hurt in their parking lot, then they could ultimately be sued. It's one thing if you are a customer on the property - the business needs to take their chances with that kind of thing, or they lose their source of income - but when it comes to random people hanging out on the property, there is no potential win for them, only a potential loss.

That being said, I certainly hope they reconsider. It was my favorite downtown spot, especially for photographs.
  by Caseyjim

I think there is a municipal lot in Bergen where the old Bergen station used to be that is a possibility. Another would be the side of the road on route 36 near the crossing in Churchville. Still another is treat yourself to a train ride to Syracuse on Amtrak as I sometimes do and you should be able to take all the train pix you want without being bothered by the local c onstabulary or anyone else. It has worked for me.
  by StLouSteve

I went to East High in the late 70s and lived in Cobbs Hill/Struckmar area so when I would stay after school for sports, I would walk home across those tracks in that area every day. (School gave you a city bus token, but you would have to ride the Main St bus to downtown and transfer to Park or East Ave bus back so walking was just as fast). I can still remember grabbing a hot cookie or two at Elite Bakery (Atlantic Ave?), then walking along the tracks east a ways. There was a customer that used to fill boxcars right near there (was it Star Markets) on the northside of the main with leftover cardboard along a spur.
  by sd80mac

That spot apparently opened to railfans now...

Does anyone know anything more on this?? I stopped by the place for couple minutes, EXPECTING empty lot...

I was kinda of surprised to see 4 railfans sitting there and 2 more showed up after me.

I stayed there for 30 minutes or so and left.