Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by BuddSilverliner269

Hello everyone. Sitting in Hudson yd is conndot p40 840 plus 8 spv cars. The p40 is on the east end of the train. The p40 had the amtrak logo painted out and cdot logos applied. Are these the same spv cars that were sent to new Orleans? There's also 1 spv sitting in ivy city yard in Washington.looks like they are coming home to roost?
Last edited by BuddSilverliner269 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Erie-Lackawanna

Info on SPVs here: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 69&t=55671

The SPVs at Hudson are not the same as the ones sent to NOLA. They're not coming home, they're going away - and they can't go far enough away, if you ask most Metro-North people.

Jim
  by BuddSilverliner269

I asked because these are 8 different spv cars in Hudson and 1 in DC all of which are clean of graffiti and have the orange(reddish???) stripe running thru the windows . There has been 2 in Hudson yd for a few months now, and those 2 are still there.There's a cdot p40 coupled to the cars on the east end and the west end of the train has it's portable markers set up which leads me to believe the train is going back east.This train was sitting there this am when I was deadheading to NYC and still there tonight with the markers lit. I Know the cars are junk and metro north people can't stand them at all. :-D Besides you posted the link of it being discussed in the NJtransit board, so Im sorry I missed that. Not sure why I wouldve looked in there to begin with since Amtrak owns the yard and its ConnDott equipment Im posting about.
  by DutchRailnut

If they have red(orange stripe) they are the New Orleans cars returning to CDOT.
If they are blue(faded) stripes they are goners(scrap or tourist)
  by BuddSilverliner269

DutchRailnut wrote:If they have red(orange stripe) they are the New Orleans cars returning to CDOT.
If they are blue(faded) stripes they are goners(scrap or tourist)
Ahhh, thats exactly what I thought. They were returning home.
  by 9C1LT1

Hey Guys,

Finished up work on Sunday night in Penn Station and across the platform was an old SLE trainset. Never seen these cars in Penn station before so naturally I had to take a few pics while waiting for my 3:00am train home.. Look at that roof clearance... The straight Diesel Genesis (#840) was shut down, and HEP power was coming from an HHP-8 which was coupled to the Genny. One of these coaches is a diner, and had snacks set up. Although most cars had a few foggy windows, I guess they haven't been used in some time.

Anybody know what was going on, why it was there?

-Barry
  by Kaback9

Nice pics, they look like they barely clear the wires.
  by Fred G

Great catch, Barry, and thanks for posting those pics.
  by BERK44

On a recent trip to Flordia. I saw some around Wilmington DE in Amtrak's yard.