• Bridge work on the Southern Tier line in Attica

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nessman

This came across the wire over the weekend.

Alert
Transportation (Other) - Roadway Disruption or Delay

Issued By: Wyoming County - Emergency Management Affected Jurisdictions: Wyoming County

Headline: High St (RT 98) at the RR trestle in the Village of Attica will be closed to all ped and veh traffic 7AM-3PM every Mon-Th 11/17/08-1/15/09

The RR trestle on High St (Route 98) at the Main St & Market St intersection in the Village of Attica will be under repair starting Monday 11/17/2008 until approx 1/15/2009. High St at the trestle will be closed to all pedestrian and vehicle traffic from 7:00AM-3:00PM every Monday thru Thursday. Vehicles will not be able to enter the Village from Routes 354 or 98 or West Main St.

Detour signs are going up to direct traffic around this construction. Please follow posted signs.
  by ctclark1

Guess I shoulda posted that question here. I noticed the detour signs going up (and living about 100 feet away from said bridge, also saw the ton of road closed barricades sitting in the wings... Stupid me posted the question about it in the NS forum... Oh wells...

Now I know why it seemed like a really quick repair job when the road opened back up the other day... M-Th only, what a strange pattern...
  by howie729

Trains are traveling at a snails pace over the bridge. I would guess no more than 5 MPH since the work started. The underpass is open on weekends and I am assuming the holiday but has remained closed most of the weekdays throughout the night.
  by ctclark1

Yeah, definitely noticed that... that's gotta be quite the bottleneck.

There was a crane operating the other day, Tuesday night when I got home from work I think was when I noticed it. Still curious if they're going to replace the whole bridge or if they're just doing some ironwork on it (welds and such).

Saw a weird one crawling over the bridge this morning - the train going over the bridge around 9:50am was headed by two NS engines, and a third- Metro North 207 or 209, don't remember. It was crawling as I left for work, and I barely beat it to alden (I can also see the tracks across the road from my work) where it was going full speed again.
  by Conrail4evr

Crawling? The past several times I've been down there, they've been doing 20-25 MPH...slower than normal, yes, but not a "snail's pace".
  by ctclark1

I wouldn't say more than 10 or 15, if you're here on the weekends they may be able to go a little faster since the workers have presumably "buttoned up" the work for the weekend - during the week when they're actually working on it its definitely slower than 20 - It took the first engine of the train I mentioned before a good 15 seconds to cross the tonawanda creek bridge the other day.