• Southern Tier - why so much upkeep for little traffic?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SecaucusJunction

Appreciate the response, K4, but I really don't understand what it means.
  by K4Pacific

West of Binghamton; Elmira west to be precise, there's been tie replacement and ballast. The track is fantastic and only 11 freights a day if one is lucky. I'll try to have an update on the meeting in Cooperstown Monday.
  by SecaucusJunction

Any update from Cooperstown?
  by northjerseybuff

So any news on this topic? I hate to keep brining it up..what happened at the shortline meeting in Cooperstown? Can we call this the Southern Tier Thread Otto..put all ST stuff into 1 thread and make it a sticky
  by K4Pacific

I was away in San Antonio until yesterday on business and pleasure. I'll get on it after Monday. Thanks for the reminder.
  by K4Pacific

All I got today from an official of a shortline - "Cooperstown was great! I have not heard from them (NYSW) yet. I will check in tomorrow. The economic news today seems bleak for any movement of any sort."
  by ricebrianrice

What is the speed limit on the Tier Between Bingo and Elmira?

Followed a train out of Elmira a couple of weeks ago, and was surprised at the speed.

Brian
  by northjerseybuff

Can't wait for the fall colors along the tier east of binghamton....oh wait..no trains are on the line...doh!
  by K4Pacific

On Youtube look up video of member DH7409. Great vids of 1988 SLN-4 and others. Enjoy it. I'll try for another update Tuesday.
  by K4Pacific

I received a report today, but the update is still according to an NS official as - "a large bucket of rumors - even from Binghamton". H88 interchange cars are unpredictable to and from NYSW. Even the NS official now says "I don't know what to believe anymore." So it seems even he feels a sense of frustration.

I know this isn't much of a report, and seems more rumor. But I did ask for an update and this is what I received.
  by blockline4180

I was just told from a railroad employee that a new garbage transload facility in North Bergen,NJ is supposed to open and that traffic is expected to go via a ST route to Binghamton, but at this point its only a "rumor" and if said rumor is true, I don't know if it would actually produce a new train!
  by northjerseybuff

So what ever happened to the trains coming onto the line? Is NS still looking at the line? Haven't heard anything in months now....
  by Conrail4evr

I take it you're talking about the part East of Binghamton? There's plenty of traffic West of Binghamton on this line.