• railroadradio.net - Rochester live stream

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by conrail6479

has anybody checked out rochester ny live stream???? i think it is sweet to hear it than my scanner.
  by charlie6017

Can you please provide a link?

Thanks.........
  by charlie6017

I feel stupid now..........I should have looked at the title of the thread, anyway, thank you, SimTrains.
  by nessman

This is pretty cool... I hung up my ham radio hobby some time ago and sold all my radio gear.

Wherabouts is the receiver located?
  by lakeshoredave

whoever set this scanner feed up just when instant legend on us! he's in the class of tiger, jordan, ali, and gretzky when it comes to railfanning. i was picking things up from southern ontario and all over western new york. you da man! awesome!
  by BR&P

Charlie, no need to feel stupid. The original post said "steam" rather that "stream" in two separate places until Otto corrected it. No wonder you were confused. Hey, what's a few letters more or less?
  by Conrail4evr

The feed is coming from a radio about 2' from the computer I'm typing this on (right here in Hamlin, Les).

The radio does quite well - being so close to the lake, CN and CP are usually booming, especially at night. When the conditions get good, reception can get ridiculous - I was hearing trains calling signals on the Lake Shore Sub from CP-2 all the way to Ashtabula the other night, and the night before that, was hearing trains on the entire length of the Mohawk Sub.

I've had the radio setup and stream for a while now - but it was only recently that I went public with it. It's scanning quite a bit of stuff, and it can be quite a challenge to keep up with all the chatter sometimes, but I still enjoy it nevertheless.
  by dummy

in brockport i can hear everything between QC349 west to QC 417. on a quiet sunday morning i can hear voice detectors and trains on the north end of the lake for the CP and CN. you should be able to hear them on this stream. all i have is an 20 yr old bearcat 40 channel with a traintennea off the peak of the roof of the house. reaches about 40 ft. who has set up the rochester stream ? what type of set up does he have ?
  by dummy

cool. now i can listen at work too.
  by lakeshoredave

i've listened to the stream a few times now, and i'm hooked. one night i was hearing the cn dundas sub rtc talking to trains around bayview jct. i also heard some french canadien chatter mixed in too! the gentleman who runs this stream should market himself at train shows, etc....i bet he could really grow his business. i even told john focht from railcom in memphis, tn about how this stream uses a railcom antenna and the range you can get on it.
  by Conrail4evr

It's not a Railcom antenna...it's a DPD Productions vertical outdoor omni antenna (http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_trai ... html#ttout). While it is a great antenna, the coaxial cable (LMR400) is equally important, and the receiver (Icom 2200H) is even more important. The biggest factor is that the stream is located out in the country, right near the lake, and the antenna is mounted at 35' with essentially no obstructions at all.