Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Kaback9

Taking the Path and then walking over to GCT.
  by Train2009

I am going to it tomorrow I will wear a
Septa Map shirt and traveling via
Westchester County Beeline Bus
Route 40 here in White Plains then
have breakfast and follow by
Transfering to Route 14 to
Croton-Harmon.
  by Long Island 9627

See you all there today its going to be great open house and nices weather too.
  by Overtime

Many thanks to Metro North for hosting the event
Last edited by Overtime on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  by njtmnrrbuff

Just got back a few minutes ago, and I was very pleased. It was nice to see the FL9s and F10s on display, as well as the other rolling stock. Most people who I saw were well behaved. Thank you very much MN.
  by SubaruWRX

yeah everything turned out very well no overbearing rail fans most took the 850 train from gct...
  by Kaback9

Just got back took my father with me, had a great time.
  by Steve F45

I got home about 90 minutes ago. Took NJT from river edge,nj to secaucus, then a NEC train to NYP. Then a taxi to GCT. It was my first time i have ever been in GCT and I was in complete AW!!! Its just immense, over 100 tracks! When we got there we had about 5 minutes to get our tickets and get on the 0954 (M7 set) it wasn't a local but not a full express. Made only 5 stops I think. Got to the shops and was surprised at how packed it was, tons of families with there kids. Fiance kept asking, "dont you look forward to this when we have kids?" My response, "of course!" The displays were awesome, it was nice to get up close to the locomotives and MU's. The technical displays were really cool, nice to see some of the tools they use on the job everyday, the traction motor/truck display right in the front. Shiney new wheels in the wheel shop. I honestly never knew they came out that shiney when new. Figured they just got a layer of rust not long after beeing cast.

I took maybe 50 pics or so. A former co-worker who is now with NJT took well over 600 pics himself.

All in all i had a great time, fiance enjoyed it, friend really liked it. although he got "trained out" he said. I just wish I had done this in years past. Now if NJT would only have one.

I have 2 questions though. When do the P32's turn off the diesel motor to use only electric? Reason I ask is when we were pulling out of GCT, we were only a minute or so off the platforms when a e/b was pulling into a platform. At that time you can here this rumble coming from outside, thats when the enginee started to pass and you can clearly hear the diesel was still chugging away.

Does anyone have any info on the metro north caboose that was sitting near the putnam spur?
Last edited by Steve F45 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Kaback9

Steve F45 wrote: Now if NJT would only have one.

I wonder the same thing.
  by DutchRailnut

inbound the diesel keeps running till cab car enters platform in GCT, they run on electric, but engine remains standby incase the locomotive gaps on third rail.
Outbound the diesel remains off, till mouth of tunnel, switchover to Diesel happens near 125th street station.
  by Train2009

I had a great time today and took lots of pictures
and I saw two NJ Transit Comet Cars at the open house today.
Why is there Two NJ Transit comet cars there?
  by Kaback9

Train2009 wrote:I had a great time today and took lots of pictures
and I saw two NJ Transit Comet Cars at the open house today.
Why is there Two NJ Transit comet cars there?
Haha i just uploaded my pics and was thinking about that. Anyone know?
  by DutchRailnut

NJT 5009 and 5010 will become MNCR's new inspection train, replacing the Phoebe snow cars.
  by Steve F45

thanks dutch for the answer. The chugging sounded great under the terminal. I mean they are still loud even out in the open, but wow what a sound.
  by Train2009

When did the NJ Transit Comet Cars came to Croton?