Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by GP38

efin98 wrote:
Please do, will help put thigns into perspective clearly :)
I don't have time to go through my photos today as I am on my way out, but hopefully will tomorrow.

And Fred, great photo! I think you posted a link to your trip on SubTalk some time ago. Thanks for posting it here! It looks as if Seneca Ave leads straight to 34th Street and the ESB!

by efin98

GP38 wrote:
efin98 wrote:
Please do, will help put thigns into perspective clearly :)
I don't have time to go through my photos today as I am on my way out, but hopefully will tomorrow.
Take as long as you want, any photos are better than none. Nothing better than anticipation to sweeten things :wink:
And Fred, great photo! I think you posted a link to your trip on SubTalk some time ago. Thanks for posting it here! It looks as if Seneca Ave leads straight to 34th Street and the ESB!
I concur, absolutely spectacular shots! And I wouldn't be surprised if alot of those homes were meant to point that way- great way to jack up the price of them with that view :D
  by Fred G

CSX Conductor wrote:Hi everyone, hoping that some of you might be able to help me. I am very curios as to the name and location of a NYC subway station platform which I have seen both on documentaries of subways and on the net. The shot that I always see is at the end of a platform of an elevated section of track, looks like maybe a few miles out of Manhattan, and the trains are entering or exiting a sharp curve, with the city's skyline in the background. I went to subwaystop.com and found a picture of the location I am speaking of, but could not link it to this post.

Also, what liines service this startion?

thanks in advance!
As Matt said, it serves the F and G. Here is a pic from up top:

and one from street level:

If you look closely at some of the Boston MBTA 'See something, say something' posters, you'll notice that the photos are from Smith/9th station.

by Skip-Stop

Very impressive photos, especially the one at Lowery.

Uh, do any of you guys change settings to accommodate night shots?

by Fred G

Vlissengen wrote:Very impressive photos, especially the one at Lowery.
Thank you!
Uh, do any of you guys change settings to accommodate night shots?
Night shots are my achilles heel, unless the subject isn't moving. Slower shutter speeds allow more light but blur movement. I set the shutter at 50 or 60 and brace the camera against a post or on a railing, kind of a poor man's tripod. HTH.

by Robert Paniagua

If you look closely at some of the Boston MBTA 'See something, say something' posters, you'll notice that the photos are from Smith/9th station.

Yeah I saw those posters in my hometown MBTA stations and I immediately knew that those shots were taken right there at Smith/9th Streets, with an R46 consists headed towards Manhattan.

I also like the station itself, next time I'll have to break out my camcourder and get shots of the lower Manhattan Skyline from the platform at Smith/9th with the train(s) approaching.
  by Head-end View

Ya' know guys, I've wanted to take a front window ride over that Smith/9th St. viaduct for the last 15 years, but unfortunately they only seem to have R-44/46's on those lines nowadays so I'm ****out-of-luck. I only wish I would have gotten interested in that line back in the 60's and 70's when they still had some older trains on there with front railfan windows. That annoys the heck out of me every time I see these great photos of that location. :(
  by Robert Paniagua

Head-end View wrote:Ya' know guys, I've wanted to take a front window ride over that Smith/9th St. viaduct for the last 15 years, but unfortunately they only seem to have R-44/46's on those lines nowadays so I'm ****out-of-luck. I only wish I would have gotten interested in that line back in the 60's and 70's when they still had some older trains on there with front railfan windows. That annoys the heck out of me every time I see these great photos of that location. :(
Actually if you didn't notice, I noticed myself, but the F line for a while DID, or even still DO run a handful of R32 trainsets down that route. I remember seeing such trainset equipment go that way, but I never got to ride on it.

I feel, however that they should also run the Slanted R40 down the F line once again, just like they did till 1980 or so, when the Hawkers came.
  by Fred G

Robert Paniagua wrote:
Head-end View wrote:Ya' know guys, I've wanted to take a front window ride over that Smith/9th St. viaduct for the last 15 years, but unfortunately they only seem to have R-44/46's on those lines nowadays so I'm ****out-of-luck. I only wish I would have gotten interested in that line back in the 60's and 70's when they still had some older trains on there with front railfan windows. That annoys the heck out of me every time I see these great photos of that location. :(
Actually if you didn't notice, I noticed myself, but the F line for a while DID, or even still DO run a handful of R32 trainsets down that route. I remember seeing such trainset equipment go that way, but I never got to ride on it.

I feel, however that they should also run the Slanted R40 down the F line once again, just like they did till 1980 or so, when the Hawkers came.
I've noticed R32's on the F as recently as this past June. As for the R40 Slant, I can't think of a car with a better railfan window.

by Robert Paniagua

I've noticed R32's on the F as recently as this past June. As for the R40 Slant, I can't think of a car with a better railfan window.

Good, hopefully they'll add those and move the R46s/R68s to the ALL-underground routes while the F can take some R32s, the D some R38's and the Slanted R40s to run on the D and F at all times with their R46 and R68 cars respectively.
  by Head-end View

Well Rob, I stood on the downtown platform at 34 St/6th Ave for 25 minutes today hoping to catch an F-train with R-32's or any older model cars, but no luck. Waited for 4 F-trains and all were R-44/46 types. Maybe some other day. :(

But for Brighton Line fans they're running slanted-end R-40's nowadays on the B-line so check out a head-end ride on that route over the Manhattan Bridge while it lasts. :wink:
  by Robert Paniagua

Head-end View wrote:Well Rob, I stood on the downtown platform at 34 St/6th Ave for 25 minutes today hoping to catch an F-train with R-32's or any older model cars, but no luck. Waited for 4 F-trains and all were R-44/46 types. Maybe some other day. :(

But for Brighton Line fans they're running slanted-end R-40's nowadays on the B-line so check out a head-end ride on that route over the Manhattan Bridge while it lasts. :wink:
Oh ok, you waited nice and long for the "Pullman Silverbirds" to come, but instead all you got was nothing but "Hawkers" I never lingered around to catch older stuff, but if I see an F train with Silverbirds come, I sure won't hesitate to get on board, especially with my video camera........

As for the Manhattan Bridge Lines, the pre R44 roster only rolls on the Q line, unfortunately, the D has its own style and tradition of running post R44 and up cars ever since 1987-88, when the last corner cab car was pulled off the D line in favor of the all full-width cab cars.