• MBCR Fare Collection Experiment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by dbperry

danib62 wrote: Your answer isn't legal. They are changing the fare collection policy. They can put what restrictions they want on platform access.
If they were changing the fare collection policy, you would be correct. And I agree, they can TRY to put up whatever platform access restrictions they want to. But they are not changing the fare collection policy - the check at the platform is not a fare collection point and is not a barrier to entry to the train (according to the conductor who was on 'shouting' duty on Monday evening). If someone walks up to the train without enough time to buy a ticket, they will still be allowed on the train.

Although who knows - as is evident from this thread, I don't think anyone (including MBCR) has any idea what the actual official policy is or what the permanent plan is. And, as has been noted, there is no practical way to restrict access to certain platforms at South Station - so unless they stop using tracks 1 and 13 (at least), they have no way to uniformly implement a platform access restriction policy. See also my discussion about the masses that assume what equipment will become what train.......Not to say they won't implement a non-uniform random wacky policy......but at least so far, they haven't setup barriers at the end of each platform.

Dave
  by ST214

Go to BBY...Or Readville.
diburning wrote:When are they ending this experiment? Anyway, this puts a big dent in south station railfanning.
  by concordgirl

dbperry's idea may or may not be legal.... But it sure made me smile :-)

If they wanted to increase fare collection and be taken seriously, the bottom line is they needed to take the time to develop a reasonable plan. I feel like this idea is something out of Willy Wonka.

They didn't do their homework, they sprang a half baked idea on the public, and when you do that to people you get half baked results. You get out of it what you put into it... simple as that!
  by ml427

concordgirl wrote:dbperry's idea may or may not be legal.... But it sure made me smile :-)

If they wanted to increase fare collection and be taken seriously, the bottom line is they needed to take the time to develop a reasonable plan. I feel like this idea is something out of Willy Wonka.

They didn't do their homework, they sprang a half baked idea on the public, and when you do that to people you get half baked results. You get out of it what you put into it... simple as that!
There is an easy solution to the pay on board "problem." If MBTA/MBCR were to enact and enforce a hefty surcharge for buying tickets on board, people would learn quickly. If customers were paying twice as much on board then at the station, people would start buying their tickets in advance.
  by hi55us

ml427 wrote:
concordgirl wrote:dbperry's idea may or may not be legal.... But it sure made me smile :-)

There is an easy solution to the pay on board "problem." If MBTA/MBCR were to enact and enforce a hefty surcharge for buying tickets on board, people would learn quickly. If customers were paying twice as much on board then at the station, people would start buying their tickets in advance.
that is what the lirr has done & it works!
  by concordgirl

I actually don't care whether or how they resolve their fare collection issue-- I always buy a monthly pass, so I'm not one of the troublemakers.

All I'm interested in is the train being convenient, safe, reasonably comfortable (and by that I just mean, a bit cleaner and more comfortable than the T) and reasonably on time. The rest of it I figure is their problem-- I've done my part and then some by contributing my $210 a month! It's up to them how they wanna spend it. Just don't expect me to go along with something dumb when I already play by the rules :)
  by Diverging Route

Below is a press release from Metro-North Railroad in the NYC metropolitan area on their approach for modernized on-board fare collection. I wonder if this can be adopted to recognize RFID cards (i.e. CharlieCards)? I also wonder if MBTA/MBCR is one of the "several" railroads that has expressed interest? Could this be one of the motives for installing wireless on commuter rail coaches... to accept on-board credit/debit cards for payment?
July 9th, 2008
Press Release
IMMEDIATE
Marjorie Anders
Dan Brucker
(212) 672-1200
MTA Metro-North Railroad Introduces Hand Held Ticket Machines For Use On Board Trains to Improve Customer Service

After a successful pilot program last year, Metro-North Railroad is introducing ticket machines to all its conductors to modernize and simplify on-board ticket issuing. This technological innovation will improve customer service as well as the railroad's operating efficiency.

Using wireless connection, the devices will be able to receive text messages from Rail Traffic Controllers, which will give train crews up-to-the-minute information during service disruptions. This will enable train crews to keep customers better informed when delays occur.

"These text messages will provide more information faster to more trains, which will improve the crews' ability to inform customers when service is disrupted for whatever reason," said Metro-North President Peter A. Cannito. "Text messaging will supplement, not replace, radio contact with the Rail Traffic Controllers that all trains maintain."

The devices are being phased in beginning this month. So far, 200, about a third of all train conductors, have been equipped with these hand-held ticket machines and separate receipt printers. This approach is a first in the passenger railroad industry and was developed by Metro-North's own Information Technology Department. The software has been copyrighted and several railroads have expressed interest in purchasing the program.

The new machines are replacing the old "duplex" ticket blanks currently used for on-board ticket sales. Duplexes require a conductor to use a hole puncher to mark the boarding station and destination, the fare zone, whether the trip is peak or off-peak, and the ticket type - adult, senior, etc. Then the two sheets are pulled apart with one part going to the customer as a receipt and the other going in the conductor's pocket for manual tallying later.

Using the new device, a conductor will select from a menu the departure and arrival stations. The device then calculates the fare and issues a receipt using a wireless printer.

Another benefit of the hand held device is its ability to store ticket sales data that will simplify record keeping for conductors as well as produce a database of actual zone-to-zone ticket sales by ticket type, time and train number.

Conductors will be able to download daily sales information and save time by eliminating manual record keeping, eliminating mathematical errors and eliminating data entry. This also will improve revenue accounting and auditing capabilities.

The software and hand held devices were tested last year by about 30 conductors. The system got excellent reviews from customers and employees and performed well. Conductor training is ongoing.

The railroad also is working with banks to implement - for the first time - consumer-protected, secure credit and debit card purchases on board trains.

The start-up cost for the hand helds, including the devices, software, new receipt stock and training is $3.6 million, including a one-year, $420,000 contract to Verizon Wireless to enable the system.

The railroad has purchased 1,000 handheld devices from Intermec of Everett, Washington and 1,000 printers, which use perforated, pre-numbered rolls of paper, from Zebra of Vernon Hills, Illinois.
  by Swedish Meatball

MNRR TIM (ticket issuing machine), does one thing. It eliminates the auditors job in the revenue dept. It slows the conductor down if anything. They have been in use for @ 2 weeks now. Credit Card sales are not available as of now. The machine does have a bar scanner built in. MNRR gates their trains out of GCT on News Years after midnight and thats a sight to behold. MBCR is nuts to try and gate peak rush hour trains. If they want to know how much revenue there missing put extra trainmen aboard and see how much additional revenue is collected. This isnt rocket science.
  by dbperry

no sign of the grand experiment Wednesday night just before 5 PM at South Station.
  by Hoopyfrood

dbperry wrote:no sign of the grand experiment Wednesday night just before 5 PM at South Station.
Nor at N. Station at 5:30. Several trains all boarded as normal with no one around checking tickets ahead of time.
  by Steve2112

I was attacked and asked for my ticket/pass at Back Bay tonight. I felt like telling the guy that the elevator would have evaded him. I pressed the button for the elevator, but it was not already on level 1, so I walked into their TARP, er....I mean TRAP!

What a waste IMHO. I have seen at least 10 people dedicated to this at SS and BB. How about they put these people on the train that doesn't open doors on the rush hour train at South Attleboro in the morning. Perhaps they can collect the fares that the regular conductors cannot get to because of packed trains.
  by concordgirl

I heard it's starting North Side tomorrow. what a bunch of crap! I hope they keep delaying it indefinitely lol

Sorry you had to deal with it, that sucks :P
  by dcm74

Steve2112 wrote:I was attacked and asked for my ticket/pass at Back Bay tonight. I felt like telling the guy that the elevator would have evaded him. I pressed the button for the elevator, but it was not already on level 1, so I walked into their TARP, er....I mean TRAP!

What a waste IMHO. I have seen at least 10 people dedicated to this at SS and BB. How about they put these people on the train that doesn't open doors on the rush hour train at South Attleboro in the morning. Perhaps they can collect the fares that the regular conductors cannot get to because of packed trains.
Just for fun, when you're asked for your pass/ticket before boarding, request the ID of the person requesting same.
  by concordgirl

Actually, you know. I'm willing to bet those guys don't want to be checking tix early any more than we want to deal with it ;-) It's not their fault, it's management.... Get management out there on the platform checking tix!!! LOL

Anyhow, we'll see what happens in NS tomorrow.
  by Otto Vondrak

Beantown cracks me up. Does the MBTA and MBCR just sit around trying to think of new silly things to try out on unsuspecting commuter rail riders? This smacks of collaboration between Catbert and the Pointy Haired Boss. :-D

-otto-