Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Clean Cab

I don't think there is enough time left to redesign the interior, even if its something as simple as removing a few seats. What Gov. Rell maybe referring to is the as yet undesigned M8 "Bar Cars" which will have more space available for bikes. From all I've seen and read, the final interior design is set in stone and making even the slightest change could delay the delivery of the cars by a couple of months. Not to mention adding to the costs of the cars.
  by Erie-Lackawanna

There is still time (although very little) to make changes to the interior configuration, and some changes will be made to accommodate bicycles, although they will be minor in scope.

Jim
  by Patrick A.

Jim or Capecodlocoguy,
Will the idea proposed by Governor Rell cause any forseeable delays to the M-8's delivery?

Patrick
  by Jeff Smith

A shame; and she was doing such a good job until now! I do understand her motivation, though.

Why not just require a bike permit for a fee for a given period? If they are going to take up the space of three people, then charge them thrice (oooh, got to use big word!).
  by RearOfSignal

L'mont wrote:Ya know what?! 2 seats a car won't kill the deal. I see bikers ALL the time and they end up standing and holding their bike in the vestibule.
Who says bikers have to stand? Put the bike somewhere out of the way. In an unused handicap space, or up the side of the vestibule that's not opening. Especially on the New Haven it's easy, usually only one side opens for the majority of the ride with some exceptions like eastward Stamford track 4 or running left-handed westward through Milford with bridgeplates & Harlem 125th. Just move it when when the doors open, that's all. Most bikers are pretty good with this anyway.
Sarge wrote:Why not just require a bike permit for a fee for a given period? If they are going to take up the space of three people, then charge them thrice (oooh, got to use big word!).
Seats are for people, not bikes, dogs, cats, feet, bags, shopping carts, etc. Of course on some late night or other usually empty trains where seats are plentiful this isn't as big of an issue and Conductors may be lenient. But other passengers shouldn't be forced to stand to accommodate bikes are pets(or to step over them in the aisle). Besides being against the rules, it's just plain inconsiderate and rude.
  by Jeff Smith

RearOfSignal wrote:
Sarge wrote:Why not just require a bike permit for a fee for a given period? If they are going to take up the space of three people, then charge them thrice (oooh, got to use big word!).
Seats are for people, not bikes, dogs, cats, feet, bags, shopping carts, etc. Of course on some late night or other usually empty trains where seats are plentiful this isn't as big of an issue and Conductors may be lenient. But other passengers shouldn't be forced to stand to accommodate bikes are pets(or to step over them in the aisle). Besides being against the rules, it's just plain inconsiderate and rude.
I think you were missing my point, which was couched in sarcasm. Bad habit of mine; sorry. I completely agree seats are for people. I was earnestly curious as to whether or not there was a fee, or whether it was just a restriction to off-peak trains. Of course, I could always go to the MTA web-site to look :wink: so no need to answer.

Bikes, if brought on-board, should be relegated to the non-boarding vestibule. Make it even better; put them on the last car in-bound, first car out-bound. I don't think there should be any physical alterations to the new cars to accomodate.

Or, you could do like a MARTA bus; put a bike rack on the front of the train (and hope some of our resident engineers don't like to play with the bumpers at GCT LOL).

It would be nice to accomodate bikes, but I just don't think it's practical.
  by RearOfSignal

Sarge wrote:I think you were missing my point, which was couched in sarcasm. Bad habit of mine; sorry.
Don't worry, it could be worse, you could be advocating a fantasy railroad line on 3 boards at the same time. :P :P

FYI, $5.00 bike permit is required at all times on MNR.
MTA Metro-North Website wrote: Conditions on use of Bicycle Access Permit

Customers who wish to bring their bicycles onto Metro-North trains shall display a valid permit. Permit holders shall be governed by the following conditions.

a. Weekdays

i. Outbound from Grand Central Terminal

Bicycles will not be permitted on trains scheduled to depart from Grand Central Terminal between 7 AM and 9 AM, 3:01 PM and 8:15 and connecting trains. On the Friday after Thanksgiving and the week between Christmas and New Year's Day, bicycles will not be permitted on trains scheduled to depart from Grand Central Terminal between 7 AM and 12 Noon and 3 PM and 8:30 PM and connecting trains.

ii. Inbound to Grand Central Terminal

Bicycles will not be permitted on trains scheduled to arrive in Grand Central Terminal between 5 AM and 10 AM, 4 PM and 8 PM, and connecting trains. On the Friday after Thanksgiving and the week between Christmas and New Year's Day bicycles will not be permitted on trains scheduled to arrive in Grand Central Terminal between 5:00 AM and 12 noon, 4 PM and 8:00 PM, and connecting trains.

b. Holidays and Holiday Eves

No bicycles will be carried on New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Mother's Day. Eve of Rosh Hashanah, Eve of Yom Kippur, Eve of Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day. In addition, no bicycles will be permitted on trains scheduled to depart Grand Central Terminal between 12 noon and 8:30 PM on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, the day or weekend before Independence Day, and the Friday before Labor day Weekend, including connecting trains.

c. Additional Restriction

Metro-North reserves the right to designate additional trains where bicycles will not be permitted. In addition, train crews may bar bicycles from trains if the bicycles cannot be carried because of conditions which interfere with the safety and comfort of other customers, including occasions of heavy ridership or equipment shortages. Consequently, the carriage of bicycles on a given train or for a continuous journey on connecting trains cannot be guaranteed.

d. Occupancy Limitations i. On weekdays two (2) bicycles will be permitted per car with a maximum of four (4) bicycles per train. Bicycles shall be placed in the two rear cars of inbound trains or the two front cars of outbound trains unless otherwise directed by train crew. Groups of more than four (4) bicyclists traveling together must make advance arrangements with Metro-North for carriage.

ii. On weekends the maximum number of bicycles permitted on trains is eight (8). In addition, on weekends certain trains are designated as "Bicycle Trains" and noted in the timetable with a bicycle symbol, these trains may carry more than the permitted number of bicycles. e. Bicycle storage

Bicycles will be secured in areas designated by the train crew. Bicycle will remain in the custody of the bicyclists, who will be responsible for their safe keeping and will secure the bicycles so that they do not pose a hazard to other customers.

f. Bicyclists must obey the following rules:

i. Bicycle riding on platforms or in other station areas is prohibited.

ii. Bicycles are not to be taken on escalators.

iii. All protruding objects or sharp edges must be removed from bicycles.

iv. Bicyclists must stay with their bicycles and move them, if necessary, to permit mobility of other customers.

v. Bicyclists may board trains only after all other customers have boarded.

vi. Bicyclist will comply with instructions from train crew members, Metro-North supervisors, and police.

g. Permits Revocation

The issuance of a bicycle permit by Metro-North is a public service to allow bicyclists the use of Metro-North transportation services. Failure to comply with the regulations will result in the revocation of the permit.

h. Liability

A permit holder will assume all liability for any damage or injury to persons or property resulting from or in connection with the carriage of the permit holder's bicycle on Metro-North trains, or at or near any facility used in connection with Metro-North rail services.

i. For west of Hudson service New Jersey Transit (NJT), permit rules apply and a separate NJT permit is required.
  by Jeff Smith

RearOfSignal wrote:
Sarge wrote:I think you were missing my point, which was couched in sarcasm. Bad habit of mine; sorry.
Don't worry, it could be worse, you could be advocating a fantasy railroad line on 3 boards at the same time. :P :P

FYI, $5.00 bike permit is required at all times on MNR.
Thanks for the answer, and the rules. I have to say, I'm getting a kick out of our new "friend", even if others aren't. Is there a twelve-step program for foamers? :-D
  by Jeff Smith

Interesting article in NCI's weekly newsletter. I think this gives an idea of a "bike" car, although I don't think it's what Gov. Rell has in mind. If there were say the same number of bike cars as bar cars, and they were on specific trains (but not all trains) I could see this concept working on a VERY LIMITED BASIS. Otherwise, taking seats out of every car is counter-productive when ridership is spiking. The problem is, how do you get through GCT and other busy stations with this many bikes?

http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df2/df ... tml#Boston
  by Swedish Meatball

If you think theres room in the vestibules on AM peak trains your nuts. There are people standing in the aisles on most of my trips into the city. They allow bikes on the trains everyday, but they have to be able to fold up.
  by SystemsConsciousness

The last mile is the most difficult problem to solve on any network:telephone, internet, rail, etc. Bikes help solve that problem. Minivan service where the state pays for a technology infrastructure to order the ride, but the service is provided by licensed taxis would be another smart idea.