Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Noel Weaver

Recently Metro-North added an earlier AM train out of Waterbury and
apparently the people using that branch are happy about it. Here is a
link to an article in today's Waterbury paper about this train.
Noel Weaver

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2008/05/ ... 338377.txt

by Clean Cab

This is the second time that MN has offered through service between Waterbury and GCT. The first time was in the early 1990s, but the schedules weren't too convenient.

So far the results are good. I hope that the ridership continues to grow. It's bad enough having to deal with Rt. 8 and I-95, but the price of gas these days is insane!!

by Nester

If the goal is 87 by October and they have 80 now, then they're well on their way. I hope it works out for the Waterbury riders.

by nhv

The new early morning Waterbury train does not offer through service to GCT. It operates to Stamford and passengers must change trains (a 10 minute wait) to continue onto GCT.

by kitn1mcc

it would be nice if the waterbury branch had better weekend night service. my friends do events at a bar not far from the station and alot of nyc people would like to go but it is soo hard

by cpontani

Gee, with seven people per car, nobody has to worry about sitting in the middle seat. I'm all for new service, but you can't tell me this is a good use of your fleet. This train can be cut to three or four cars, and still be wide open, and the cars can be put to use elsewhere, or even another Waterbury train, for that matter.

by Swedish Meatball

Train 1923 turns to 1323 @ Stamford. If it became a true thru train ridership would pickup .The connection is 1723 which is full when it reaches Stamford.

by Swedish Meatball

Train 1923 turns to 1323 @ Stamford. If it became a true thru train ridership would pickup .The connection is 1723 which is full when it reaches Stamford.

by Erie-Lackawanna

The train was designed to provide service from the Waterbury Branch to Fairfield County points west to Stamford. As previous attempts have shown, the market for through NYC travel is insignificant.

During the schedule planning process, there was an active discussion about through travel and whether it would be permitted, given that the train continues (as another train ID) to GCT. It was decided that we couldn't afford to do it; if only a mini-bomb is available for service on a given day, it couldn't run through; there's not enough capacity. As a result, it's not a through Waterbury-GCT train, and the few New York passengers are asked to change at Stamford.

Jim