• Amtrak Asst Conductor Salary

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by GOLDEN-ARM

On some properties, salaries ARE negotiated, by each individual employee. Grounds for discipline on a WATCO or Econorail property, regarding salary discussions. Each employee negotiates his best deal, on those properties. If you want to know a salary, ask the person who does the hiring, or the HR department. Those people are hired, to divest information, as well as screen and hire applicants. Ask someone in a PM, if you need specifics. Even though Razor answered you question, he didn't answer it. He gave a very vague estimate. Railroaders work for an hourly, or daily rate. He generalized an annual estimate. He could have given you a specific dollar per hour amount, but didn't. He either doesn't know, or doesn't care to share that info. As far as "not asking in an interview, how much the salary is", are you for real? The interview is the place to ask ALL your questions, and get the correct info, there and at the hiring sessions. ANYONE who is foolish enough to rely on the info, gained from some railfan chat/forum, to "arm" himself with the knowledge to walk into an interview, probably needs to stay at Wal*Mart, or wherever that person is working at. There is an old saying on the railroad, and the same in the military. "Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear". A fan forum is NOT the way to get your interview advice. You will hear OPINIONS, on what a person might have experienced, on any given day, but that is not indicative on the operations, of a given carrier, at a given location, on any given day. Even this, that you are reading now, is only MY opinion, and is only to be understood, from my particular point of view. Regards :wink:

by CSX Conductor

David Telesha wrote:Knock off the baloney
Actually, it is balogna!!! LOL

by GOLDEN-ARM

CSX wrote:
Is that Lebanon Balogna? :-D

by CSX Conductor

Oscah Myah!!! Lol

Back on topic, I agree with an earlier poster that the amount of pay should be posted without any contraversy, especially since many people asking how much a certain position will make are asking because they are considering pursuing a career in the specific craft.

by GOLDEN-ARM

I am not a moderator, and will not attempt to moderate this thread, but the header, on this very forum says, without any uncertainty, General Discussion: Employment
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Hourly wages, and salaries, are specific. VERY specific. How much a person makes, is irrelevent. The hourly rate of pay makes no difference, to a "sharpshooter", on the boards. A good extra man can make 10K more a year, than the next best man, with both making the same rate of pay. How "hungry" a person is, and how often they care to turn over, will determine the paycheck, as much as any hourly rate might infer. I can, and have, worked 8 on, 8 off, for years, and made far more money, than the next "greediest" person on the board. Worked all holidays, my vacations, and every single call that came, no matter where the job was, I took. Short calls, someone didn't show for work, if I was "legally" rested, I took the job. I did this 27 months, rotating every 8 hours, on a yard board. The hourly rate was irrelevent. I made 22 1/2 hour rule every other time out the door. Also made 11 starts in a half pay, double time and a half for holidays, and double time and a half for working vacation. This does not include the hundreds of penalty claims I submitted, for various arbitraries I was entitled to. Only a Philly conductor, E. Feld made more money, than I did. This was for all T,E&Y employees, on the entire Philadelphia division. He was my mentor, for "hogging" a board, and I learned well. You won't know what I made, but it was more than twice the pay, of a guaranteed exta board employee, making that guarantee. If someone feels this is wrong, discussing the money, that's how it's supposed to be. Ask the carrier, or PM someone on the job, and ask them. Just my time to opine, and now it's yours........ :wink:

by Guest

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:CSX wrote:
Is that Lebanon Balogna? :-D
Oh, I love that stuff. Wife won't kiss me after I eat it though. Pass the mustard.

-r

by Guest

GOLDEN-ARM wrote: A good extra man can make 10K more a year, than the next best man, with both making the same rate of pay. How "hungry" a person is, and how often they care to turn over, will determine the paycheck, as much as any hourly rate might infer.
I completely agree. You can really make as much as you want, as long as you are willing to spend the time out there. That hourly wage does not mean very much. You don't even really have to try very hard, you're simply not going to work very many basic days. In fact, I don't even recall the last basic day I worked. The big money comes from overtime and penalties.

-r

by larry farmer

Wow I dont if some of these guys really work fro the rr or not. Its bull to say its in bad taste to ask what a sallery or wage is a a career type site. If you dont want to answer the question just dont post Mr golden knob or whatever your name is. These guys need to know.

I am a carman at Norfolk Southern in Birmingham. It is a great job and you dont have to travel. I work with good guys who I enjoy comming to work to see. Now the big question. We make 23.18 per hr as of Jan 08.
we also start at a scale of 85% and it takes 3 yrs to get to full pay. Im not a conductor but they make about 160 to 180 per trip. That means they take a train from birmingham to chattanoga about 160 miles wich takes about 6 to 12 hrs according to the work involved on the way. That pays about 160 to 180 this is based on type of train thru freight train or freight train for example. Then afetr they rest they bring a train back and get paid again. if you do that 4 times a week . Thats 1440 for that week. at toped pay. If you make more trips its more. Since I am not a conductor It would be nice for a conductor to respond and tell what they made last year and if they worked alot or if work was slow. If people cant try and answer questions just dont say anything and let someone who will respond. Ps as a carman I made 56,000 at a job i enjoyed going to. :-D

by larry farmer

Wow I dont if some of these guys really work fro the rr or not. Its bull to say its in bad taste to ask what a sallery or wage is a a career type site. If you dont want to answer the question just dont post Mr golden knob or whatever your name is. These guys need to know.

I am a carman at Norfolk Southern in Birmingham. It is a great job and you dont have to travel. I work with good guys who I enjoy comming to work to see. Now the big question. We make 23.18 per hr as of Jan 08.
we also start at a scale of 85% and it takes 3 yrs to get to full pay. Im not a conductor but they make about 160 to 180 per trip. That means they take a train from birmingham to chattanoga about 160 miles wich takes about 6 to 12 hrs according to the work involved on the way. That pays about 160 to 180 this is based on type of train thru freight train or freight train for example. Then afetr they rest they bring a train back and get paid again. if you do that 4 times a week . Thats 1440 for that week. at toped pay. If you make more trips its more. Since I am not a conductor It would be nice for a conductor to respond and tell what they made last year and if they worked alot or if work was slow. If people cant try and answer questions just dont say anything and let someone who will respond. Ps as a carman I made 56,000 at a job i enjoyed going to. :-D

by KarlJ

larry farmer wrote: If people cant try and answer questions just dont say anything and let someone who will respond. Ps as a carman I made 56,000 at a job i enjoyed going to. :-D
Well along that same reasoning, you might want to follow on a topic that's a little more recent... this one was dead over two years ago.

by Swedish Meatball

Its now 8 yrs. w/o a contract. CNDR rate is 23.98 & AC is 20.58 as of 2-26-08. If the new contract is ratified the rate is 27.73 & 23.80. You dont want to know how much the medical went up. These numbers can be found on the UTU/Amtrak tentative agreement dated 2-13-08.

by Swedish Meatball

double post