• NS Southern Tier Bingo-Port Jervis-Hoboken

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by DanD3815

How about on the Port Jervis-hoboken side of the tier. I live closest to the tier around points like campbell hall, sailsbury mills, harriman and sufferen. The locals out of campbell hall and suffern are tough to catch but besides them does NS have any road frieght on that line anymore?? i havent seen one in a loooooong time, used to see them every now n then during the conrail days but those were rare too.

by blockline4180

DanD3815 wrote:How about on the Port Jervis-hoboken side of the tier. I live closest to the tier around points like campbell hall, sailsbury mills, harriman and sufferen. The locals out of campbell hall and suffern are tough to catch but besides them does NS have any road frieght on that line anymore?? i havent seen one in a loooooong time, used to see them every now n then during the conrail days but those were rare too.
Well from Croxton to Campbell Hall you got the H0-7 road/local freight. Sometimes one of the other locals goes up to CH as well. Out of CH, you have a few locals that switch the industries in the area. But, right now that is pretty much it and all you have west of CH are the NYSW SU99/SU100 and those only run at night 3 times a week at present.

by DanD3815

yeah the Susquehanna SU99/SU100 trains are very late light, around 12-3 in the morning i can hear them from my room as they pass the farmingdale grade crossing.

by Maybrook fan

Could anyone tell me abot traffic between Port Jarvis and Binghamton ????

I see there is a passing siding in Deposit, does it get much use ???

thank you

by charlie6017

I don't think there is much traffic between Port Jervis and Binghamton other than the SU-99 and SU-100 trains.

by DanD3815

if there is such little to no traffic on that area, then why doesnt the NYS&W run there frieghts in the daylight instead of like 3 in the monrning, granted they would have to worry about commuter trains from campbell hall to Port jervis but it could probably be done.

by Conrail4evr

DanD3815 wrote:if there is such little to no traffic on that area, then why doesnt the NYS&W run there frieghts in the daylight instead of like 3 in the monrning, granted they would have to worry about commuter trains from campbell hall to Port jervis but it could probably be done.
That's just the way the schedule works. The crews get paid the same either way, and the freight's gotta move - no sense in delaying it 12 hours just for a daylight run!

by SecaucusJunction

They can pretty much run their trains whenever they choose and from what I've heard, the Main Line dispatcher isnt gonna give them a shot during rush hour due to their unreliable power... (cant blame him).

I wouldnt bother looking for trains east of Binghamton because you'll probably just end up looking at rusty tracks. East of Suffern is slightly better for freight with several locals running and usually a sizeable H07 each day.

by ricebrianrice

Why does NS not use the tracks from Bingo to Port for road trains?
  by henry6

DanD3815 wrote:if there is such little to no traffic on that area, then why doesnt the NYS&W run there frieghts in the daylight instead of like 3 in the monrning, granted they would have to worry about commuter trains from campbell hall to Port jervis but it could probably be done.
It has been stated and discussed many, many times before: NYSW trains have to operate as best possible out of the way of NJT-MNRR traffic east of PJ to Campbell Hall. The best way to stay out of the way is operate very late at night until early morning. Hitting Campbell Hall westbound or Port Jervis eastbound by midnight will get the move. But if trains are long, one has to wait until the other gets there so the move east or west could be done, adding to the reason for late hour operations.

by ANDY117

I suspect that as NS begins its new maintenance season, we'll start seeing detours again. Maybe not on the CNYK, but they'll use the Tier west of Binghamton.

And let's not forget that by 2009(?) the track has to be up to 40 MPH standards.