• NS Southern Tier at Portage or Silver Springs

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by railfan87

I know this is a tough question because I'm sure service is sporadic, but could anyone give me a general idea of how many trains a day use the NS southern tier line? Does anyone live on or near it that could give me a general estimation? I've wanted to catch one in the Silver Springs or Portage area for a while.

by ANDY117

What part? If you're in Hornell, you'll catch all the road traffic, and if you're in Gang Mills you'll get a bunch of locals as well as the road traffic. Binghamton has the D&H and NYS&W as well, so that's another 10 trains at least right there.

As far as road freights are concerned-

East/West

13T/12T Buffalo-Allentown mixed freight
38T/39T Buffalo-Binghamton mixed freight

206/205 Buffalo-Binghamton intermodal

310/309 Cleveland?-Gang Mills mixed freight

522/523 Meadville-Dresden coal
524/525 Shire Oaks-Ithaca coal (Somerset RR gons)
526/527 Shire Oaks- Johnson City coal
532/533 Shire Oaks-Bow, NH coal

674/675 Ithaca-Binghamton Salt

888/889 PRB coal to Bow, NH

by Conrail4evr

For Silver Springs/Portageville, you'd better get there before sunrise. Between about 6 and 9, you'll get a good 4-5 trains, then it dies right down. You'll have H2R going Buffalo to Silver Springs and return (they leave Buffalo around Noon), and then 310 in the afternoon, and that'll be it. If you're not willing to get up early (or not willing to chase them), you're gonna have a very long (and very boring) day. Keep the scanner on 161.070 and listen for 'em.

For specific trains, you'll likely catch 12T (Allentown, PA - Buffalo, NY), 13T (Buffalo, NY - Allentown, PA), 309 (Gang Mills, NY - Bellevue, OH), and 38T (Binghamton, NY - Buffalo, NY) in the morning. 310 (Bellevue, OH - Gang Mills, NY) and H2R (Buffalo - Silver Springs & return) run in the afternoon, with 39T (Buffalo, NY - Binghamton, NY), 205 (Boston, MA - Chicago, IL), and 206 (Chicago, IL - Boston, MA) running primarily at night. 205/206 are IM trains, with 38T and 39T being CP trains that virtually always have CP power on the point.

Up on that specific stretch, you won't see any unit salt trains (they haven't run in about 2 years now, so don't count on them) or coal trains (once in a blue moon they'll run one this way, but it'll be the WNY&P if anything, and even then your chances aren't the best for catching one when you happen to be in town).

The best strategy, I've found, is to get out nice and early and start around Attica. You'll usually get several EBs coming, so shoot them as they come at you, then pick one to chase. It's pretty easy to beat them to Rock Glen or Silver Springs (just be sure you know what roads to take beforehand!). After that, you might be able to beat them somewhere on the other side of Portageville (Swains for instance), but I usually head back West and sit on CSX around Corfu. I'll keep the radio on, and when I hear 310 or H2R departing CP-BROADWAY around Noon or a little later, it's time to get back to Attica to repeat! If you just want to sit in one spot, I'd simply get out there early and catch the fleet in the morning, then head elsewhere...otherwise, you'll probably end up waiting 6 hours for a train (and no, that's not an understatement). Hope this helps a bit!