Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

So I was wondering if they caught the homeless guy who was terrorizing passengers this morning at Stamford Station...

It was funny, I went and did something I don't normally do- sit down in the waiting area opposite Dunkin Donuts to wait for my train. All of a sudden, the elevator from Track 3 platform opens up, and a homeless man emerges with his shopping cart full of personal posessions. He parks it next to the trash can and goes off on some errand (hey, homeless people got stuff to do, too). Everyone is largely ignoring him. Someone steps up to the elevator, and waits for the next car. The homeless guy comes back and starts talking to her, non-stop. The elevator arrives, she steps in. He grabs for the cart like he's going to enter, too. She asks if he's coming in there with that cart and he starts screaming at her to get out of his elevator, then starts following her. She runs away and while he's still yelling at her, he misses the car. Now people are starting to look nervously around, hoping he'll just leave. He takes his cart, still screaming, pushes it through the line of people waiting for Dunkin Donuts, heading for the Track 5 elevator. He screams louder at anyone who will listen. He comes out of that alcove, pushes his cart through the crowd of people again, still screaming. Okay, that's enough. I start looking around for police. Weird... there's always a cluster of MTA and Stamford PD hanging out by the shoeshine stand. Where are they now? Okay, how about one of these helpful security folk (the ones who stand around wearing "Security" jackets). I approach one and ask him if he can do something, like call for help. He turns his head away from me as if someone else more important is going on across the room. I ask him again, if he can summon the police. "Sorry, I don't do that." WTF? What *do* you do? The homeless guy is back again for his fourth round, pushing his cart through the crowd. I hear the Dunkin Donuts guy scream for Security (haha good luck with that). This time he disappears into the Track 3 elevator (back where he came from?)... they announce my train on Track 4, so I head for the stairs. On my way there, I see a cop walking into the waiting area, looking a little puzzled ("What am I looking for?"), so I let him know, "He's on Track 3 platform. With the shopping cart. You can't miss him."

Fortunately, nothing happened that couldn't be shrugged off with some nervous laughter. But now I have another reason to add to the list of why I hate Stamford Station.

-otto-

by pennsy

Yo Otto,

As I stated in another thread, such a person would very quickly become a guest of the local city compliments of its police force. Southern California will tolerate such people to a very limited extent, once that line is crossed you will have you own cell to use for some time.

by RearOfSignal

I'm surprised that kind of stuff comes up in a station as nice as Stamford. Usually it's kind of hard to miss a police officer at that station, there's usually quite a few. The security guards are useless, more like escalator patrol. The few that I've seen there were about as vigilant as Rip Van Winkle.
  by JFB

Otto Vondrak wrote:This time he disappears into the Track 3 elevator (back where he came from?)...
... and was greatly disappointed to find that Stamford just doesn't have the vast network of steam tunnels that Grand Central does.

Seriously, though, the location of this incident surprise me much. I've found that such scenes, too common in the City fifteen years ago, are being reenacted with greater and greater frequency in the once-pristine suburbs.

by Otto Vondrak

There is nothing pristine or suburban about Stamford. It's a small city, but a city none the less. The station is wretched, from design to execution. Beyond that, this homeless fellow seemed to arrive at that one moment when there appeared to be no cops around. Other than that, the police presence is very visible. Good thing I walked away from the "security" guard, because I'm sure the police would have ended up taking ME away...

-otto-

by TacSupport1

Stamford literally has a "wrong side of the tracks", lol.

Interesting story, thanks for sharing!

by JFB

Otto Vondrak wrote:There is nothing pristine or suburban about Stamford. It's a small city, but a city none the less. The station is wretched, from design to execution.
This is true. Stamford was the wrong context for my "now the 'burbs feel it, too" comment.

And that station is indeed a monstrosity.

Just out of curiosity, does Stamford station have a greater police presence than, say, Bridgeport or any of the other major stations along the New Haven? If so, any particular reason?

by RearOfSignal

TacSupport1 wrote:Stamford literally has a "wrong side of the tracks", lol.
Have you ever tried to board a train on Stamford track 1? That first step is a doosie!!!! :P :P :P

(I apologize for the dry humor)

by SubaruWRX

South Norwalk is bad as well but I'm glad I never ran into any at Stamford but most in South Norwalk they hang out near the doors (under the tunnel) near the door exit to track 4 sleeping on the floor. every one and awhile you will get one during the morning peak trains asking for money but for the past 2 weeks it's been ok.

and I don't always agree with you.. but I agree with you on the rent-a-cops they hire.. in the morning while waiting for my local train to Greenwich most of them (the younger security guards) are just checking out girls that come and go from the station and not really doing much at all.

by SwingMan

I saw one the other day in the Hilton Passageway next to Tracks(bar and grill). lirr415-Peter

by Swedish Meatball

Theres a MTA Police Office below in Stamford & New Haven has one at Union Station. Bridgeports office is at Central Yard. I assume SoNo has an office as well.

by SubaruWRX

I have not seen an office at South Norwalk but I do see the MTA cop sometimes (has been about 4 weeks now since I have not) stop at the station in the morning around 2:45am and I see now SoNo has some type of security now in the glass booth when you come in the front, for about a month no one was around.

by Fred G

pennsy wrote:Yo Otto,

As I stated in another thread, such a person would very quickly become a guest of the local city compliments of its police force. Southern California will tolerate such people to a very limited extent, once that line is crossed you will have you own cell to use for some time.
Maybe that's what the guy wanted; a nice clean warm cell. It's cold outside these days yo.

Stamford station...the platforms are ok, the rest is too imposing and gerbil tube like.

your pal,
Fred

by SubaruWRX

Fred G wrote:
pennsy wrote:
Stamford station...the platforms are ok, the rest is too imposing and gerbil tube like.

your pal,
Fred
haha speaking of gerbil I finally went to the other side where you can walk to the parking area and had no clue they had a TVM in that area...

sometimes it seems like it's far quicker just to go down and under to cross tracks unless it's rush hour.

by Otto Vondrak

Subaru, we're talking about Stamford, not South Norwalk.

-otto-