• Why is the Boston Subway called the "T?"

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Gerry6309

The Circle-T logo is part of the image makeover devised by Cambridge 7 Associates in the mid 1960s. Other parts of the makeover included the color code for the lines, station designs, a unified paint scheme (gray ghost) and the basic design of the South Shore cars. The Circle represents the 71? cities and towns and the T represents a unified transportation system.

by Lord Mkaiba

CS wrote:Many people say T stands for "Transportation" though I've yet to see that confirmed...
It says 'Transportation' at the top of the website.

by octr202

Lord Mkaiba wrote:
CS wrote:Many people say T stands for "Transportation" though I've yet to see that confirmed...
It says 'Transportation' at the top of the website.
I think there was some sarcasm involved...

by paulrail

The "T" stands for "terrible transit" or "tied-up transit" LOL :wink:

by Yellowspoon

Finch wrote:Am I correct in assuming that "MTA" stood for "Massachusetts Transportation Authority?"
Metropolitan (as previously noted) Transit (not Transporation) Authority

by NealG

Boston isn't the only city with the 'T'...

by Ron Newman

Pittsburgh and the Twin Cities use it as well.

by walt

Also, Baltimore's MTA ( once Metropolitan Transit Authority, then Mass Transit Administation, now Maryland Transit Administration) used a stylized "T" logo on its buses, circa the 1970's & "80's. The stylized "T" logo, though was long gone by the time the Central Light Rail Line opened.

by Ron Newman

Does the change of name indicate that this organization now serves the entire state of Maryland?

by octr202

Ron Newman wrote:Does the change of name indicate that this organization now serves the entire state of Maryland?
Not quite -- but its more directly under the control of the MD DOT than the MBTA is to the EOT here (although MA would look more like MD under the "MassTrans" proposal).

by walt

Ron Newman wrote:Does the change of name indicate that this organization now serves the entire state of Maryland?
MTA is now a division of MDOT ( a state agency), but its primary function is still to provide Mass Transit services for the Baltimore region. It does, however, fund some commuter services outside the Baltimore area, particularly commuter runs from Howard County into both Baltimore and DC. These services are operated by private bus companies, though some of the buses used are state ( MTA) owned, and carry MTA markings. My understanding is that MBTA is still a transit authority, like WMATA and SEPTA. MTA is not a transit authority---it is actually a part of MDOT. There are those of use here who believe that MTA should serve more of the state than it does, and it is slowly expanding its coverage, but this expansion is painfully slow.

by Otto Vondrak

OKay, I think we're getting away from the MBTA and the Commonwealth... unless we should move this topic to Commuter General Discussion...

by MACTRAXX

Yellowspoon: I cannot forget the tokens from the old MTA that the MBTA used back in the 80s before the MBTA got their own tokens-which by the way had a 1963 Red Line car graphic on them-those old tokens read METROPOLITAN TRANSIT AUTHORITY on them-if you look at a old MTA map and see how much the MBTA expanded the T service area with their takeover. The MBTA is not the only system to use the T logo-as mentioned-check out: WWW.METROTRANSIT.ORG/ This link is to the Minneapolis/St.Paul Metro Transit system site-note the resemblance of the circle T logo there. I also recall the slanted Maryland MTA T logo-discontinued in the late 80s-the Baltimore Metro cars had this logo along with the MDOT logo. MACTRAXX