• metro north employment advice

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by onosolo

hi,
i'm contemplating working for metro north railroad as a customer service rep. i have some questions that i need help on.
i'm in a serious relationship and i'm wondering if the job will affect my relationship for the first couple of years. i understand that i will work the night shift and not have weekends off for a year, probably more.
the other question i have is that i might move to seattle in about 10 years and wonder if there is a railroad there that i can work for or if i'm going to be stuck in new york for the rest of my life if i work for metro north?
please help/ any insights would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

by Otto Vondrak

Your job shouldn't affect your relationship that much. You're in Customer Service, not wokring the extra board in train service. Why would you be stuck in New York because you work for Metro-North? You're free to work anywhere you want. Do you want to remain in Customer Service?

There are railroads in Seattle, but what do you want to do once you're out there? I wouldn't worry so much about something that "might" happen ten years down the road.

by onosolo

hi otto,
what i would like to do eventually is a traffic controller
for metro north. can i get to that goal from customer
service? and i do believe that i'm going to be on the
extra list for customer service. can i expect to work weekends
and late nights? i guess that i meant that i would be stuck
in new york state, because that's where metro north is
and i wouldn't leave until i get my pension. if there is definitely
room to grow with metro north then i would love stick around.

by cifn2

onosolo wrote:hi otto,
what i would like to do eventually is a traffic controller
for metro north. can i get to that goal from customer
service? and i do believe that i'm going to be on the
extra list for customer service. can i expect to work weekends
and late nights? i guess that i meant that i would be stuck
in new york state, because that's where metro north is
and i wouldn't leave until i get my pension. if there is definitely
room to grow with metro north then i would love stick around.
I don't knkow that customer service would be a for sure for a traffic controller, but it might help.

by Swedish Meatball

you have to work a minimum of 6 months before changing crafts. after that you may apply to different positions like a yard master or train service. customers service to rtc is quite a leap with no former rules training. good luck
  by onosolo

hi everyone,
how long should i expect to be on the extra list for?