• Radio frequency

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by MNRR Signal MTR

I think I have seen this here before , but I can't seem to find it now . I am looking for the frequencys that mnrr uses on the Port Jervis line also if possible NJT's M O W and local talk frequencys .

Thanks

by DutchRailnut

MNCR does not use any frequencies west of Hudson. all radio frequencies are NJtransit's including the port Jervis line.

by Alcochaser

161.370 -- [AAR channel 84] -- communications department
161.475 -- [AAR channel 91] -- cranes
161.145 -- [AAR channel 69] -- electric traction
161.400 -- [AAR channel 86] -- Hoboken Division
160.890 -- [AAR channel 52] -- maintenance of equipment
160.440 -- [AAR channel 22] -- MOW
161.235 -- [AAR channel 75] -- Newark Division
160.830 -- [AAR channel 48] -- police

I show these for NJT... In that area the four ex Conrail frequncies might be usefull too 160.800, 161.070, 160.860, and 160.980
  by MNRR Signal MTR

Ok Dutch , So what are the frequencys on my company radio for channel # 8 MNRR-west/Hud and channel # 9 NJT- Hoboken ?

Thanks

by DutchRailnut

iF you check the FCC site there are no MNCR freqncies for MNCR west of Hudson.
ALL are NJtransit frequencies.

by clearblock

As Dutch said, the "W of Hudson" MNCR operations run on NJT lines so their frequencies are used. The Dispatcher channel is 161.400 so that is probably one of your channels and the 160.440 MoW is possibly the other.
  by MNRR Signal MTR

Thanks clearblock !!!

by jmp883

I'm a former NJT Mainline train dispatcher. From Hoboken to Suffern all Port Jervis-bound trains use 161.400 MHz, the Hoboken Division frequency. When I was there (2002) the trains would switch to 160.800 MHz (the old Conrail Road Ch. 1) west of Suffern. That was when NS still owned the Tier west of Suffern. Now that MN owns the line I'm not sure if the trains still switch to 160.800 or if they stay on 161.400 west of Suffern.

I have a friend who is a RR employee who should be able to find that out. As soon as I find out I'll post the updated information.
  by MNRR Signal MTR

What is the site I can go to ? I what to program my new radio . I am looking for the southern teir and river div. just to get started .

Thanks

by jmp883

As I posted earlier:
I'm a former NJT Mainline train dispatcher. From Hoboken to Suffern all Port Jervis-bound trains use 161.400 MHz, the Hoboken Division frequency. When I was there (2002) the trains would switch to 160.800 MHz (the old Conrail Road Ch. 1) west of Suffern. That was when NS still owned the Tier west of Suffern. Now that MN owns the line I'm not sure if the trains still switch to 160.800 or if they stay on 161.400 west of Suffern.

I have a friend who is a RR employee who should be able to find that out. As soon as I find out I'll post the updated information.
Yes....west of Suffern all NJT/MN trains switch to 160.800.

MNRR Signal MTR wrote:
What is the site I can go to ? I what to program my new radio . I am looking for the southern teir and river div. just to get started .

There are numerous websites that contain frequency information. My favorite is: www.radioreference.com Click on the 'Database' link in the blue band near the top of the page and it will go to a listing of states. Click on NJ, then click on Railroads. It is not a complete list by any means but it does list Conrail SAO, CSX, NS, and NYSW frequencies. I found one under NJT that intrigues me: 160.400 for the M&E. When I worked there (2002) right to the present all RAIL operations on the Hoboken Division are on 161.400. Maybe 160.400 is M-of-W....??

Obvioulsy clicking on the New York link will get you the frequencies in NY state. There is also a Railroad Monitoring forum, though it's pretty dead. You need to register for that, though registering is free.

I like RR.com because in addition to my railroad hobby I'm a licensed amateur radio operator and scanner buff so it's a great hobby resource, a lot like Railroad.net is here.

Good luck!
  by MNRR Signal MTR

Ok , I found evey freq. I wanted except CSX Conrail Harmon west yard . Is anybody sure that freq. 160.4400 is what NJT uses for M O W on the southern tier between SF and Port Jervis ? Thank you everyone for your help .

by Maybrook fan

Hey jmp883, I like that frequency site you gave. I find it very handy. Thank You !!!

by jmp883

Maybrook Fan wrote:
Hey jmp883, I like that frequency site you gave. I find it very handy. Thank You !!!
Always appreciate hearing that someone finds the information I post here useful, thanks.

Being a licensed ham and scanner buff I can tell you there are far too many frequency websites that are so full of outdated information they're useless. Of course there are many well-maintained sites as well, I just think that www.radioreference.com is the best.