Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Clean Cab

Now's your last chance to get a picture of the second to last place on the New Haven line where the interlocking signals are mounted on the catenary bridge. Within a week or two they will be replaced by ground monuted dwarf signals which are already installed but are still covered by trash bags.

The only other place where the interlocking signals are mounted on the catenary bridge (except for the 18E signal at CP 273 in New Haven) is CP 244 (Westport) and they to will soon be replaced with gound monuted dwarf signals.

by Fred G

Got 'em and thanks for the heads up!

by Clean Cab

Nice picture!!!

by Clean Cab

This Saturady (12/9/06) the overhead signals at CP 244 (SAGA) will go dark and the new ground level signals will be cut in. That leaves only the signals at CP 257 (East Bridgeport) the last overhead signals (except for CP 75which are a different type) anywhere on MN.

by kitn1mcc

hey stay Out of my Lunch Spot

by Clean Cab

OK, I give up.................. what was that follow up all about?

by Jeff Smith

I remember signals like these just south of the Mamk station about 30 years ago. If I remember, there used to be a switch there, too, track three to one. Sure there were more switches too, also just south of the station. I think they took them out in the 70's.

This must have been before CTC? I don't think there were three signal lamps, though, I think there were only two on these. I think I had them figured out (might have asked an engineer or conductor), double red, full-stop, then proceed slow after air-horn (indicated a train present before next signal). Yellow red, proceed slow, indicated a train present in following block. Green red, proceed at speed limit. I can't recall if there was a double yellow or double green signal.

by Noel Weaver

Sarge wrote:I remember signals like these just south of the Mamk station about 30 years ago. If I remember, there used to be a switch there, too, track three to one. Sure there were more switches too, also just south of the station. I think they took them out in the 70's.

This must have been before CTC? I don't think there were three signal lamps, though, I think there were only two on these. I think I had them figured out (might have asked an engineer or conductor), double red, full-stop, then proceed slow after air-horn (indicated a train present before next signal). Yellow red, proceed slow, indicated a train present in following block. Green red, proceed at speed limit. I can't recall if there was a double yellow or double green signal.
There were no interlocked switches at Mamaroneck thirty years ago or
quite far before that, try when the Westchester was still running to Port
Chester in 1937. There was no switch from track three to track one at
least not during my time on the railroad, again probably back into the 20's
before you would find any evidence if even then.
Noel Weaver

by Jeff Smith

Thanks Noel. I was only something like 10 or 11 year olds at the time, around 1972, had the boyhood bug for trains and used to stop to watch on the way home from Mamk Ave elementary school with a couple of friends. My memory could definitely be faulty. I know presently the only interlockings are between Harrison and Rye and again before and after New Rochelle (will the one north of New Rochelle remain after construction?).

Mamk is such a neat station with an unusual history, first, being at station level, then moving down to street level to make way for the NYW&B. They could do so much more with that station, both transit-wise and non. It was a great place for rail-fanning, even though I had no idea what that meant back then.

Thanks for the info

Best regards

by kitn1mcc

the position and location were the pick was taken i sit there and have lunch when i am in the pit