• NYC Combine #290 now on the CACV

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Nice to see another NYC car on the rails.. but you got it painted the wrong color! haha! Glad that your group was able to find a use for the car.

-otto-

by The Man

Otto: The paint on the car is kinda funny. When at the RPCA meet in MO this past winter I asked someone who knows the car and the old NYC well, and what he told me is that NYC ordered those from ACF painted silver. Now one (Witch one I don't know, but it could be 290) was painted in the 20th century colors. Now the owners plan is to paint it in one of the two jobs but to start the car needs some TLC to be ready for the next job. As time permits (When C&CV is not using the car, winter I think) it is getting a new wheel set, upgrades inside, and paint. The wheel for the car is another NYC stunt. When I called my vendor and said I need a 5-1/2 by 10 with a 15 inch jaw. He said "You can't get there from here" So after checking two more times some research was done and the car has a larger than normal jaw. So my vendor had to have the box's made from box's with bigger lugs so the box would not slide out of the jaw.

This is why a friend told me "If you don't like someone GIVE THEM A RAILROAD CAR!"

JJ