• 2nd Track between CP-Potter and CP-Bound Brook coming soon

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by RichM

I didn't realize the tunnel was lined.

I was running a welding supply and tool repair business in Allentown when a lot of work was being done there in 1987-8. We did a brisk business with pneumatic hammer parts and repairs for a long time with the crews working there, I believe that was during the time the line was centered through the bore.

If the roof is lined, the floor can be lowered. As you said, a matter for the bean-counters to resolve.

I think we're slowly seeing what's been forecasted since the Conrail breakup, that rail freight movements are growing more rapidly north-south than east-west with essentially single line services for both CSX and NS. Seems to me that traffic will continue to increase to a point that NS will have to increase capacity pretty dramatically to stay competitive and maintain market share in the metropolitan NY-NJ market, and that means containers and TOFC's in addition to chemicals and minerals.

by Wanderer

Railfaninnj wrote:Historically I don't think there has ever been such a connection.
The Reading Company timetable does list an interchange between themselves and the Lehigh Valley at timetable station Manville, other than just the diamond crossing. The Reading T&HS confirms this also on their website.

I tried digging out my older track schematics (c. 1950) after work, but they're buried in a box somewhere. The CNJ schematics I did find does note an interchange between RDG and LV west of Port Reading Crossing (now Finderne, where the RDG and B&O left the CNJ main). I'll keep digging.

by wolfboy8171981

Wanderer wrote:
Railfaninnj wrote:Historically I don't think there has ever been such a connection.
The Reading Company timetable does list an interchange between themselves and the Lehigh Valley at timetable station Manville, other than just the diamond crossing. The Reading T&HS confirms this also on their website.
Thus the Interchange track at Manville yard

by Wanderer

Yeah, looks like the connection between the Lehigh Valley and the Reading Company was made through the yard. Seems like a pain in the backside move if it were ever needed to be made, but looks like the option was there.

by Don31

Wanderer wrote: Keep in mind that this is a NS Heavy Project Track Gang. These aren't the guys that called out to replace 100 ties. These guys get dispatched to replace 1,000 or more ties. They build rail where it doesn't exist. These guys do it all. They work hard, and then don't even get to go home at the end of the day. So the camp cars are made to be a self-sufficent, peaceful attempt at 8-10 hours of normalcy every night. Especially in this heat!
I had the opportunity to watch these guys from street level at Aldene this afternoon, pretty cool stuff. Later on, I caught them at quiting time, a very impressive parade of equipment pulling into Track 4 at Clark. A friendly bunch too, everybody had a wave and a smile. I even photographed a meet with eastbound K276 there.
Last edited by Don31 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Wanderer

The only thing that stunk was they closed down Westfield Avenue on the Eastbound lanes to work yesterday. They probably got the wrath after that spike fell off the bridge last week onto a car. The Roselle Park PD were on the detail, which is probably one of the reasons you didn't have any problems. They're enthusiast friendly.

by Don31

Wanderer wrote:The only thing that stunk was they closed down Westfield Avenue on the Eastbound lanes to work yesterday. They probably got the wrath after that spike fell off the bridge last week onto a car. The Roselle Park PD were on the detail, which is probably one of the reasons you didn't have any problems. They're enthusiast friendly.
When I was in Roselle Park, I was just watching from the sidewalk. I took the pictures from the bridge over the Rahway River (near Walnut Avenue), which is about 30 seconds from my house. :-)

by Railfaninnj

Wanderer wrote:

I tried digging out my older track schematics (c. 1950) after work, but they're buried in a box somewhere. The CNJ schematics I did find does note an interchange between RDG and LV west of Port Reading Crossing (now Finderne, where the RDG and B&O left the CNJ main). I'll keep digging.
But not a through connection. The fellow I replied to was referring to that.

Jack
Central New Jersey Wide-Area Stream @ http://railroadradio.net

by Railfaninnj

RichM wrote: I think we're slowly seeing what's been forecasted since the Conrail breakup, that rail freight movements are growing more rapidly north-south than east-west with essentially single line services for both CSX and NS. Seems to me that traffic will continue to increase to a point that NS will have to increase capacity pretty dramatically to stay competitive and maintain market share in the metropolitan NY-NJ market, and that means containers and TOFC's in addition to chemicals and minerals.
The statistics show rail traffic nationwide increasing at 8% per year. That's one of the main reasons the NS spent millions of $$$ to put in the Flemington Jct Controlled Siding last year. is getting set to upgrade the Royce Running Track, & Shared Assets is upgradfing the Potter-Bound Brook segment. They've put on on last 6 new trains so far this year (64/65R, 64/65J, 68/69Q) as well as a lot of extra sections like the I12 & I4Z. These trains can't run efficiently unless they have the track. I believe it's inevitable that we will see the restoration of the double-track all the way from NK to Easton. Rail is cheaper than truck. They're not building any new Interstate highways but the NS & Shared Assets already owns the ROW.

Jack

Central New Jersey Wide-Area Stream at http://railroadradio.net/

by blockline4180

Railfaninnj wrote:
RichM wrote: I think we're slowly seeing what's been forecasted since the Conrail breakup, that rail freight movements are growing more rapidly north-south than east-west with essentially single line services for both CSX and NS. Seems to me that traffic will continue to increase to a point that NS will have to increase capacity pretty dramatically to stay competitive and maintain market share in the metropolitan NY-NJ market, and that means containers and TOFC's in addition to chemicals and minerals.
The statistics show rail traffic nationwide increasing at 8% per year. That's one of the main reasons the NS spent millions of $$$ to put in the Flemington Jct Controlled Siding last year. is getting set to upgrade the Royce Running Track, & Shared Assets is upgradfing the Potter-Bound Brook segment. They've put on on last 6 new trains so far this year (64/65R, 64/65J, 68/69Q) as well as a lot of extra sections like the I12 & I4Z. These trains can't run efficiently unless they have the track. I believe it's inevitable that we will see the restoration of the double-track all the way from NK to Easton. Rail is cheaper than truck. They're not building any new Interstate highways but the NS & Shared Assets already owns the ROW.

Jack

Central New Jersey Wide-Area Stream at http://railroadradio.net/

Any idea why NS 202 runs when NS 214 doesn't?
Hopefully there will be some new intermodel trains added after the Potter to Bound Brook segment is double tracked! Good News..

by Wanderer

Railfaninnj wrote:They've put on on last 6 new trains so far this year (64/65R, 64/65J, 68/69Q) as well as a lot of extra sections like the I12 & I4Z.
Jack...

I agree with you completely, just a few details. The difference between 64/65R and 68/69Q is the ethanol source location. It's the same contract though. If the refineries had the ability to create the supply at one plant, there probably would only be one set.

Also keep in mind that an I section of an intermodal is not always a second section. NS also follows the practice of resymboling trains enroute with a second section prefix if it is significantly delayed, as with I4Z last night.

They also use the second section prefixes with normal symbols for a route in order to shift storage and surplus equipment. Such as the I12 baretable moves. Basically the same thing CSX does with the X176 and X100.

All details aside, I agree with you though. Traffic is visably, undeniably up. 22V last night with the CP Dockside traffic was huge. 202 is growing with the improved preformance of the new route for New Orleans and Memphis TOFC traffic from the CNIC. The petro-chemicals are pushing 18/19G to the brink, and often beyond length restrictions. For a while M9G was a regular assignment again. Look over on the CSX side. There are 4 Southern/Northeastern UPS trains. The manifests are utilizing all prefixes and multiple premature dates to manage capacity. I honestly think the only real threat to this continuing prosperity would be the reinstallation of full blown anti-trust regulations.

by markyk

More Potential New Traffic:

Was down on the Pokey (NS/West Virginia) this weekend, and the new Garbage Transfer facility is just about ready to go at Capels. Word is that NY/NJ garbage is heading there.

Howland Hook connector is just about ready to go......this intermodal traffic will be split between NS/CSX...I imagine some of it will go out this way. also garbage is expected to head out of Staten Island as well, maybe this is the Pokey garbage....

Trucking companies more than ever are giving longhauls to the railroads, even the most reliable truckers are now having severe driver shortages

interesting times ahead indeed

by Wanderer

markyk wrote:Word is that NY/NJ garbage is heading there.
Who cares, as long it's not staying here!! :P

Definately good news. It seems also that the New Jersey Rail Carriers traffic for OHCR at Mingo Junction (65J) is up. The train has visually been getting longer and heavier. CSX actually seems to be keeping K276/277 on it's old schedule again, instead of the spiratic runs it was making for a time. Isn't ironic that our waste becomes our productive economy. Brings a whole new meaning to the concept of recycling.

by wolfboy8171981

Wanderer wrote:
Railfaninnj wrote:They've put on on last 6 new trains so far this year (64/65R, 64/65J, 68/69Q) as well as a lot of extra sections like the I12 & I4Z.
Jack...

I agree with you completely, just a few details. The difference between 64/65R and 68/69Q is the ethanol source location. It's the same contract though. If the refineries had the ability to create the supply at one plant, there probably would only be one set.

Also keep in mind that an I section of an intermodal is not always a second section. NS also follows the practice of resymboling trains enroute with a second section prefix if it is significantly delayed, as with I4Z last night.

They also use the second section prefixes with normal symbols for a route in order to shift storage and surplus equipment. Such as the I12 baretable moves. Basically the same thing CSX does with the X176 and X100.

All details aside, I agree with you though. Traffic is visably, undeniably up. 22V last night with the CP Dockside traffic was huge. 202 is growing with the improved preformance of the new route for New Orleans and Memphis TOFC traffic from the CNIC. The petro-chemicals are pushing 18/19G to the brink, and often beyond length restrictions. For a while M9G was a regular assignment again. Look over on the CSX side. There are 4 Southern/Northeastern UPS trains. The manifests are utilizing all prefixes and multiple premature dates to manage capacity. I honestly think the only real threat to this continuing prosperity would be the reinstallation of
full blown anti-trust regulations.
For a while back in 2004/2005 there was the 35/36G from Oak Island to Allentown, with the 19G taking the Conway and Elkart Block. The Q404/403 was also extended to Oak Island with the Bufflo Block, although it no longer goes to Oak Island.

Every now and then there is a K278,22V, I0G, I0W, K653. The K206/207 hasnt been on a routine in a while. Some weeks only one or two, other three or four.

The 68Q/69Q is the "hot"er of the unit trains. The 68Q comes from the BNSF in Chicago and once at Port Reading has a 24 hour turn time on the cars before it is supposed to be heading west. Even these trains are growing, the 64R/65R will be at 102 cars very soon. Rumors are strong that the CSX wants to run a unit train to Port Reading as well. They are puting blocks of Ethenol on the Q433. Normaly when empty they return to Oak Island in blocks of 40 usually creating the need for a S402.

by BigDell

Double Tracking will begin this May, and is expected to be completed by Dec of 2007

As for the new double barriered Grade Crossing for Inman Ave....I was told that it is NOT coming. Edison pulled out of funding it.......

Get your pics now of the single track, as we are only weeks away from the beginning of construction
It's a beautiful thing...
This makes me think back on the old LV days when we saw action on both tracks as trains sped past the back of the golf course. This will be great.
I live within earshot of Potters crossing. It's amazing how many trains pass during the course of a day/night. Bottlenecking them into one track is torture. This will be great. No desire to photograph single track action - I'm anxious to see two tracks crossing Inman Ave. again.

Sidenote - Received a Coleman "Road Trip" grill for my b'day this year. Took it out on a "test run" for some Niman Ranch hot dogs and train watching fun a couple weekends ago. I can highly recommend the grill for any tailgaiting parties and activities you might be planning...

BigDell