• Should GO Transit electrify?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by railfanofewu

A few years back in one railroad magazine or somewhere that GO Transit was considering electrification. I think for GO TRansit, with the number of trains they run in the Toronto area, you would think that they want to reduce some operating costs.

by Raakone

GO now owns a former Mexican electric locomotive that they have up in Montreal for testing......after all, it's cheaper than setting up catenary in Toronto, eh?

~Ra'akone

by railfanofewu

Yeah, they do not have to tear down the catenry if they suddenly say they do not want to go ahead with this fuel-saving measure.

by ledgema

Electrification of GO Transit goes way back to the idea of the GO ALRT. Then again they were different trains. With what GO is using now I don't think they'll go electric.

Matthew
railfanofewu wrote:A few years back in one railroad magazine or somewhere that GO Transit was considering electrification. I think for GO TRansit, with the number of trains they run in the Toronto area, you would think that they want to reduce some operating costs.