• Dr. Bruce R Meyer, PhD (Dash-2 electrical engineer)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Phil Hom

Photographer Bruce Meyer dies

WESTERN SPRINGS, Ill. — Bruce R. Meyer, 70, a 40-year Electro-Motive Division employee who was a prolific black-and-white railroad photographer during the steam-to-diesel transition in the late 1950's and early 1960's, died of cancer at home on June 29. Meyer retired in 1999 from a long career in marketing with EMD as Senior Vice President of Sales.

A native of Peoria, Ill., Meyer grew up in nearby Bloomington and earned a degree in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana in 1959. While at UofI, he became part of an active group of railfan friends, several of whom, like him, would become well-known in the hobby, including Jim Boyd, Bob Hundman, Parker Lamb, Ted Rose, and Phil Weibler. Several of them hung out at Champaign Tower, tutored by the late Illinois Central operator Dick Stair.

Meyer took his first railroad photos about 1953, concentrating on steam power on the Illinois Central in his home area, and later sought out steam in its waning years on the likes of Baltimore & Ohio, Nickel Plate, Norfolk & Western, Pennsylvania, and the two transcontinental Canadian railways. He had a special affection for the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range, which he modeled. He contriubted many photos to TRAINS Magazine, drawings and EMD paint diagrams in his earlier years to MODEL RAILROADER, and later, material to his publisher friend Hundman for his books and magazines.

“I like dramatic detail shots,” Meyer said in the Spring 2003 CLASSIC TRAINS “Great Photographers” series entry on him, written by John Gruber. Several years ago, Meyer donated his collection of EMD paint and lettering diagrams to the National Model Railroad Association because “I am a steam lover and not a diesel man.” He proved that by trekking to China to see 2-10-2’s as recently as 2001, following prior trips to not only China but Germany and Poland.

Meyer is survived by wife Bonnie, son Jeffery, and brother David. A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m. on Sunday, July 9, at the Hallowell & James Funeral Home at 1025 W. 55th St. in west suburban Countryside, Ill., at which family members and friends will be encouraged to share their memories of him. Donations in his memory are suggested to the American Cancer Society.

by mxdata

The passing of my good friend Bruce Meyer leads me to repeat in this forum a warning that I have often voiced to many of my friends privately in the past.

Just like the designers of steam locomotives and first generation diesels before them, we are now well into the process of loosing the talented engineers and designers who were involved in the development of the second generation diesels and even our very recent designs. Bruce Meyer was one of the central figures in the development of the advanced wheelslip control systems that are a major component of modern diesel locomotive technology.

People like Bruce are deserving of a much higher level of visibility and attention while they are still with us. Here is a guy who not only was a world renowned expert in his field, but was also a great story teller and a cooperative supporter of railroad enthusiast organizations. Our "historical" organizations should be seeking out these folks and inviting them to take part, to whatever extent that they are willing, in interviews and forums where their knowledge and unique insights can be shared and appreciated.

Some of our present "historical" organizations are very ignorant of real history and are letting the hobby down completely. History is not just about acquiring pieces of equipment, pieces of paper, and pieces of film, it is about people too. Unfortunately folks who played a critical role in the development of locomotives and other railroad equipment are being almost totally overlooked by these organizations, a great opportunity to learn from them is steadily being lost.

by Allen Hazen

My sympathy goes to all his friends and family.
--
I would like to second MX's comments: I think it is very important for rail historians to seek out and record the recollections and views of the (now getting on!) generation who built what we think of as the modern railroad scene! The late John Kirkland's books aren't perfect, but they are immensely valuable... and not all the engineers from the "diesel revolution" have had his literary ambitions: we need to seek them out.
--
Ignorance here. The title bar for this string credits Bruce Meyer with a Ph.D. (I think that is probably an unusual thing for engineers who have spent their whole careers in industry) and suggests he was at least pertly responsible for the electrical design of E.M.D.'s "Dash-2" series of locomotives, but neither of the postings refers to these aspects of his career. Any details?

by mxdata

Bruce was a central figure in the development of the EMD locomotive electrical systems and wheelslip technology used in the product lines from the mid 1960s to recent times. He was a principal in the Dash-2 system design and also one of the primary architects of the "controlled rate of slip" technology that is featured in recent locomotive designs.

Allen, as you noted, John Kirkland is another good example of someone who should have been given much higher visibility by the railroad historical organizations. A few years ago I tried to find any tapes or other transcripts of the few talks he did for enthusiast groups and was unable to locate any. Once these people are gone it is too late, shame on us for not making more of an effort to include them in activities while it is still possible to do so.

by Allen Hazen

mxdata--
Thank you for the further information!
--
Re Kirkland: I remember reading somewhere that before he died he was working on a 4th volume of "The Diesel Builders," (devoted to my own favorite, GE). In your search did you find out anything about whether he had left drafts or materials? Or if he has a "literary executor"?

by mxdata

Allen, it is my understanding that John did have some additional projects planned and the materials were left with an executor for possible future completion. However with the book market presently being saturated and author fees covering very little of the actual cost of doing research, it would appear rather challenging for someone else to undertake the kind of projects that John did. They would need a lot of time and considerable input of their own funds to do so. The book market right now is filled with the mass produced "coffee table" books, many of which end up getting sold on eBay at tremendous discounts just weeks after they are introduced. Not a very good situation for serious researchers who are trying to do difficult projects with limited financial support.

by Steve M

Thank you all for the kind words about Bruce. He is my Uncle and my fathers brother. I just returned from the service and I of all poeple gained much knowledge of his extreme love for trains and there development. I never knew his full extend with GM. He was the kind of guy who didnt talk about himself to often!

Steve

by mxdata

Steve, I wish I could have made it to the services, unfortunately I am a long way away from there now. Bruce will be remembered with great respect and admiration by everyone who knew him.