• Rest In Peace, Jerry Sliker (erievalley)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by charlie6017

Rest In Peace, Jerry...........

Sliker, Gerald I. "Jerry"
LEROY: After a brief illness, Jerry passed away the morning of June 3,

Full Obituary in today's Rochester D&C

www.rochesterdandc.com

hi

by thebigham

OMG!!

Jerry was a nice guy.

Chris
  by thebigham

"Sliker, Gerald I. ""Jerry"""
Date published: 06/05/2006
"LEROY: After a brief illness, Jerry passed away the morning of June 3, 2006. Predeceased by his parents, F. Irving and Carolyn Sliker; nephew, Christopher Sliker; and father-in-law, Floyd Ellis. He leaves behind his wife, Carol, of 29 years; daughter, Tami (Steve) Moore of Sparta; sons, Michael (Rhonda) Sliker of Holley, Jason Sliker of Rochester; sister, Nancy Haak of PA; brother, Larry (Patricia) Sliker of Honeoye; mother-in-law, Kathryn Ellis of Brockport; brother-in-law, Thomas (Judith) Ellis of Ardsley, NY; sister-in-law, Lucinda Ellis of Rochester; several grandchildren; nieces and nephews, Holly (Robert) Sarver, Robin (Richard) Azer, Mark Haak, James (Luann) Haak, Timothy (Kristin) Haak, Andrew Haak, Kelli (Dr. Jason) Davidson, Cynthia Sliker, Stephanie (Dean) Ellis Jones, Robin Ellis; many great-nieces and nephews; special friend, Floyd Galbraith; and his ""girls"", cats Missy and Amber.Jerry served in the military and was a member of the American Legion Post #0529 in Holley. He enjoyed shooting sports and was a lifetime member of the Holley Rod and Gun Club. He was a racing enthusiast and a competitive car racer. As a musician he played the Bass guitar with several area bands. Most recently he was a railroad buff, enjoying both model and Shortline trains. He shot videos throughout New York and Pennsylvania. His company, Erievalley Videos, produced his highly acclaimed Shortline Railroad Videos for a national audience. A collector and restorer of railroad lanterns, he built an extensive collection.Family and friends may call at the Cameron Brady & Steuber Funeral Home, 111 Wolcott St. (Rte. 19 South), LeRoy, on Tuesday from 5-8PM, where a Memorial Service will be held on Wednesday at 11 AM. Memorials may be made to Attica & Arcade, 278 Main St., Arcade, NY 14009

by bwparker1

I own his FGLK Video and his LAL Video. They are great, He really did a service to the WNY railfan who didn't have the time to chronicle operations and drive all around the state. His products will be missed. I wonder how his business will be handled, if someone can take over the production of his volumes. For those who haven't seen his website, it is here:

http://www.hometown.aol.com/erievalley/

BWP
  by Matt Langworthy

This is sad news indeed. I have Jerry's videos for LAL and B&H. They were well-shot with simple commentary that didn't get in the way of the audio. He will be missed.

by Martin Goller

During the last RIT show I bought two of his DVDs... Wellsboro & Corning and the "NS Orphan Lines"...
Very very nicely done. His FGLK tape is also outstanding.
Truly a loss.

Martin

by WNYP431

The Arcade & Attica Railroad Board of Directors this week passed a resolution in honor of Mr. Sliker and his work. Aside from the resolution and a personal tribute to Jerry, the A&A is also planning on either placing his name on a locomotive or naming an entire coach in his memory.

He was a talented, caring man who will be missed very much by those in the industry who crossed his path.
  by Paul1953H

Wow, that blows me away, and I'm truly sorry to hear this sad news. :-( I was wondering why we hadn't heard from him in a while. Does anyone know his age?

I have several of Jerry's shows and they're all quite enjoyable. I've written reviews on them but haven't gotten around to the 'Knox & Kane' show yet. What I need is a laptop or notebook computer so I can write reviews while my children hog the main computer. But I digress. Jerry and I communicated with each other from time to time, and it was a pleasure 'knowing' him, if only through e-mail and his train shows. God bless you, Jerry, we'll miss you.

His website is at <http://hometown.aol.com/erievalley/VIDEOWEB.html>. Hope it can remain in business.

=== Paul H! in AtasCal

<http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/railvideo>

by Conrail4evr

Sorry about the late reply...

I originally met Jerry via my grandfather, back when he was running his own hobby shop in Holley, Powerline Trains. I recall operating his massive Lehigh Valley layout there before he moved to Leroy as well.

It wasn't all that long ago that I dropped by his house to visit. I ended up checking out his video studio and layout, and he gave me obsolete copies of his Genesee & Wyoming and Railfan Rambles videos. In addition, I have his South Byron Hill (with an autograph by him, no less - my grandparents thought it would be a good idea, and though I thought it was cheesie at the time, I'm glad they had him do it now...), as well as his Rochester & Southern video, though I'm wishing I'd purchased them all now. Does anyone know if they're still availible in any local hobby shops?

Overall though, Jerry was a great person, and he will surely be missed. It's a shame he had to go, but everyone has their time to depart. The services he performed for local railfans with his videos is definitely inspiring and informative, as those videos have helped me find whole new railfan locations and even caused me to seek out new railroads to railfan. And from what is being said about Jerry not even making any real profits off of these videos says a lot in itself. Rest in peace, Jerry.

by charlie6017

Hey Nick,
The spots I have really seen his videos recently were Lake City Hobbies in Geneva (at the time-they had quite a good selection), Despatch Jct in East Rochester had a couple, and there is a Hobby Shop in Amherst on Rte 78 that had some--but the name escapes me right now.

by Blackjack

I just happened to see this thread yesterday...

Jerry did some filming on our railroad a few years ago. He was a class act and I'll miss him and his work. My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

I was going to order a few of his videos for my library but, as is human nature, I procrastinated :( . I was doing a search for his webpage just yesterday when I found out about his passing...

That being said, if anyone knows where I could obtain copies of his Bath & Hammondsport, Finger Lakes, and Battenkill videos PLEASE contact me on or offlist. I tried calling the shops listed on Jerry's webpage yesterday but no one had these tapes in stock.

Thanks!

Jack

by Otto Vondrak

Does anyone know what will become of his master tapes? They should be preserved locally if at all possible. Jerry assembled a great body of work and it would be a shame to lose it.

-otto-