• Old Alewife Pictures?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by l008com

Anyone know where I can find some old alewife pictures, from back when they built the current structure, but still had the lexington line running through it? I'd love to see that.

by Ron Newman

Pretty sure the railroad tracks had been removed before that station opened.

by l008com

What I read somewhere was that they removed the tracks to build it, then put them back for like a year or two when they were done before the tracks were abandoned, when the removed them again for good (unless they reopen someday....)

by TomNelligan

Immediately prior to rapid transit construction in the area, the B&M's Hill Crossing Freight Cutoff occupied the current Red Line right-of-way (except on the surface, obviously!) approaching from the east. It crossed under Fresh Pond Parkway and joined the Fitchburg mainline west of the current MBTA track maintenance shop. On the west side of the parkway, in the area of the current Alewife station, there was a signal-protected diamond crossing with the Bedford Branch, which came off the Fitchburg mainline around where that crosses under Fresh Pond Parkway and headed northwest under Route 2.

I can't help you with on-line photos of the construction period, though.

by NellsChoo

I KNOW I have a book with some photos of Alewife under construction, but I just can't find them!!! I HATE that! They show everything you guys are talking about. If I find them, I'll let you know!